Front parking sensors

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi all, does anyone find the front parking sensors really annoying, I am talking about the outer one's which go frantic when entering a garage etc.
Just wanted them to assist with judging the distance to a object in front.
Am thinking about disabling the outer one's, to just give the function I need.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019

1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Hi Dave,

A new one on me. I didn't even know it had front parking sensors.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi Monty, they are a dealer fitted accessory .
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

DaveG wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:14 pm Hi all, does anyone find the front parking sensors really annoying, I am talking about the outer one's which go frantic when entering a garage etc.
Just wanted them to assist with judging the distance to a object in front.
Am thinking about disabling the outer one's, to just give the function I need.

DaveG

If you do a search for the parking sensors phrase – see the search box at the top left of the main page, above the CX-3forums logo – you’ll find a number of threads posted over the last 2 years. These include some of mine on these threads :-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=983&p=4888

………. “The outer pair of the sensors are usually fitted on the outside of the front wing area so, whilst they are good for when you are steering your car into a parking spot and approaching another car or obstacle at an angle, they will go off like crazy when driving into a garage as the signal bounces back of the side walls. So I've found it isn't really possible to use them to sense closeness to the garage back wall. I would have preferred it if all 4 sensors were fitted across the front of the car body.”

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=141&p=3434

……….. “I do wish the button was a 3 stage affair - off, middle 2 only on, all 4 on - so that when I drive my car in the garage I could put the switch in the middle position and thus only get the noise when the end of the garage wall gets too close At present as soon as I get to the garage opening I get the noise starting despite the car being more of less in the middle of the gap, so I usually turn off the sensors and use a brick on the floor where I want the wheel to stop and thus prevent me getting too close to the end wall.”

If it had been possible to test out the front parking sensors on a dealer car prior to purchasing my new car and having them added as an option, I probably wouldn’t have added them. I’ve had other cars with front parking sensors which all pointed forward and thus didn’t causes problems when entering a garage or into other tight places width wise.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

1Monty wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm Hi Dave,

1Monty,

As DaveG has said, they are a dealer fitted accessory. Cost is £120 for parts plus the fitting cost. For some details check out :-

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/a ... 860V7285A/

Be aware of the potential problems with them as per DaveG's post and my reply to it above.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

DaveG wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:14 pm ... Am thinking about disabling the outer one's, to just give the function I need.

You could try, but the system might not be happy with only two if it's expecting four.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 pm
1Monty wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm Hi Dave,

1Monty,

As DaveG has said, they are a dealer fitted accessory. Cost is £120 for parts plus the fitting cost. For some details check out :-

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/a ... 860V7285A/

Be aware of the potential problems with them as per DaveG's post and my reply to it above.

Thanks for the info but I have no intention of adding them.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi jtonline,

I think you are probably right, and on investigating further it would involve partially removing the front bumper so a dealer job.
It is a pity they couldn't be installed to only engage when reverse gear is selected as factory installed units, why doesn't Mazda offer this option on the CX3 ? but of course it is a 20k car.
However it doesn't detract from the CX3 which is a superb vehicle, I think my petrol Sport Nav is brilliant.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

DaveG wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 am ,,, It is a pity they couldn't be installed to only engage when reverse gear is selected ...

:?: I don't think you'd want the front sensors to only work when you're going backwards.

Your dealer will have fitted a button on the dash that you can use to temporarily disable all the front parking sensors, which you could use to silence the beeps when parking in your garage, but then you will need to find some other way of letting you know when you're close to the end wall (such as a brick on the floor which, I believe, is the method st3v3cx-3 uses).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Should have said factory systems only operate if you select reverse, then go into first to activate them, yes it did seem odd the way I put it lol.
I have a switch to turn them off, I always fire up the engine then switch off the parking sensors, and switch on when i need them, although I appreciate they deactivate over a certain speed.
I have a different system for my garage a piece of string with a small plastic bottle on it when it touches the screen time to stop, also a mark on the wall which I can line up with the door mirror, yes I am a little ocd.
My switch is to the right of the others and lower down, which is where I asked it to be fitted as it is visible and easy to see if it is on or off, although admittedly it does look a bit Heath Robinson as other members have mentioned.