i stop

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

Hi. I am just getting used to my new Mazda CX3 Automatic.
My question regards the i Stop. When I park in my drive at the end of my journey the car assumes I have hit a traffic jam and turns the engine off. Could you tell me how I turn off the ignition where the engine is off. The car will not lock in that condition.
My only thoughts are that I have to press the start button to restart the engine and then press it again to stop it. Of course when the car stops on a journey I only have to move from the foot break onto the accelerator to start the engine and from what I have read this doesn’t involve the starter motor in the same way as a fresh start does.
I don’t wish to use a process that harms the car at all.
The dealership I purchased the car from cannot seem to help me at all as they admitted to me they know very little about the process of i Stop.
Thank you for your help.

st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

If you press the Start/Stop button without your foot hard on the brake and with the car in neutral or park it will just cycle through the "accessory" (not sure what the correct name is) then "ignition on" then "ignition off" positions without starting the engine.

So if you come to stop on your drive and having hard pressed the brake the iStop has come into effect - this happens to me as my short drive points downhill - just put on the handbrake and the gearbox into park and then push the Start / Stop button once to turn off the ignition just as you would if the engine was running. If go too far pressing the Start / Stop button just press more to cycle to the desired "ignition off " position.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
santa

Post by santa »

Put it in Park, lift your foot of the brake and push the start/stop button as you normally would.
Asumming it's an automatic.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

My car is an automatic. I have put the car in park and Pressed the start / stop button with my foot on the break as you you do when you start an auto. Will try as you suggested and press the button with my foot off the break.
Thanks for your help.
santa

Post by santa »

Peter B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm My car is an automatic. I have put the car in park and Pressed the start / stop button with my foot on the break as you you do when you start an auto. Will try as you suggested and press the button with my foot off the break.
Thanks for your help.
I sometimes do what you do and activate the i-stop by accident when parking.
So I have started trying doing this: Stop car, pull hand-brake, set in Park, Remove foot from brake and then push button :-)
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Why and how does the engine use the starter motor in a different way when i-stop is functioning to starting the car normally? It is still the same process as far as I can tell, i.e. Turns the engine over until it fires up.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Unlike starting the car normally, Mazda’s i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. I-stop operates the starter motor for less than a second to assist engine restarting.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

I thought it didn’t fully engage the starter motor when the car started from istop.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Perhaps someone should fully explain i stop to the Mazda dealership I purchased my car from. This forum has helped me far more than my dealer has.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Thanks jtonline 😀
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Regarding istop, on my previouse car when istop activated the vehicle would stay none running for what seemed indefinitely or until the clutch was operated.
The engine on the Mazda re starts after a set time which to me seems quite a short period, how is this determined. :?: anyone know.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019