i stop

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

DaveG wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:27 pm...The engine on the Mazda re starts after a set time which to me seems quite a short period, how is this determined. :?: anyone know.

I've had a look at the Mazda i-stop technical overview document, and it's a very complex system.

There are about 60 conditions that have to be met before the brains of the i-stop system will stop the engine.

The engine restarts when any of the i-stop (engine restart control) conditions are met. There are almost 30 conditions for restarting the engine during i-stop control and one of them is that the engine has been stopped by i-stop for 120 seconds. There is no mention of why the designers of the system decided upon that particular period of time.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thank you JT , Yes its odd why 120 seconds, my son says his Evoque is the same and also wonders why they don't shutdown for longer as my DS did.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Personally I just cannot see the benefit of the iStop. A disconcerting annoyance as far as I'm concerned.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind ๐Ÿ˜Ž
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Istop is not there to distract, it cuts down on harmful emissions and does not interfere with the running of the car.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

anchorman wrote: โ†‘Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm Istop is not there to distract, it cuts down on harmful emissions and does not interfere with the running of the car.

It's a gimmick that has little value. As for cutting down on immisions, that is what the catalyst is there for.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind ๐Ÿ˜Ž
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

1Monty wrote: โ†‘Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:06 pm Personally I just cannot see the benefit of the iStop. A disconcerting annoyance as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with 1Monty.

On 6000 miles a year in rural Somerset any fuel or emissions saving from iStop is infinitesimal, and is not worth the annoyance of the stupid gimmick switching the engine off whenever it feels like it. I switch iStop OFF before every trip, and this simple solution soon becomes as routine as putting on my seat belt. I will not be made to feel guilty by not using it.

We all have our own ways of saving the planet. Mine is not to fly, so let he who is without air miles cast the first stone.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Old dogs, New tricks.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

What is it with this forum......someone initially raises a legitimate question and it sometimes slowly evolves into bitching.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

DaveG wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:53 pm What is it with this forum......someone initially raises a legitimate question and it sometimes slowly evolves into bitching.
It is on topic, itโ€™s just how opinions differ on the subject. I was actually joking.

The best thing I guess is have a read on the operation. Switching the engine off after istop requires the transmission to be in park and a further press of the start button. This is actually for the 2.2 but it works the same.
I stop control.pdf
(197.84 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

I stop if I want, you stop if you want

In 19000 miles I saved 80 = ยฃ12, peace and quiet at junctions and lights

Lightly press in brake at roundabouts, for a quick getaway, great system
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors