Goodbye CX3!

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
DevonMan

Post by DevonMan »

Hi all I thought I would update re my CX 3 after 1 year of ownership and 12,000 miles........it had to go. Was not impressed at all with the car. My reasons:

1. Hard cheap plastics on dash and doors (they look ok until you actually touch them) and centre console, at that price! Why not have the same better quality soft touch materials as the Mazda 3? Its the same price range.

2. Truly awful manual gearbox. Notchy when changing, hard to engage when hot in traffic (especially first and second) and has a clunk when you change gear. Asked the dealer when it was in for it's first service and they said nothing wrong with it thats how they are! Yeah right I have always driven manuals and never had such a horrible gearbox

3. Wind noise........well that has been well documented.

4. Tyre noise, again well documented. Basic design flaws of both wind and tyre noise in my view, this makes for a "strained" and unrefined drive, no excuse for it to be that bad.

There are some good points, the engine is nice (though lacks mid range torque for a 2 litre in my opinion) and very economical for it's size. Shape is eye catching (thats why I bought it) and rare on the road compared to the focuses and golfs etc. The infotainment system is good, display could be sharper as competition's systems getting better and better (they need to revamp it) . The rotary control system (stolen from BMW, lol) is very good.

So what have I replaced it with.........Astra Elite 1.6 CDTI (136ps) auto with front and rear camera's, intelli-link headlights, lane assist and driver assist (I think it's called) etc etc. Overall a much nicer smoother drive and got a good deal on a 8 month old ex demo (hence all the optional extra's) with 7K on it. Mazda need to up their game in trim and drive quality for the CX 3 in my view as expensive for what you get.

I did think of a Mazda 3 but already had one previously (2015 model) and to be honest they are a bit long when your parking on the street in resident permit parking (hence again the CX 3 was chosen). It's funny but never had the same issues with the gearbox in the Mazda 3, so assumed the CX 3 would be the same, but definitely not. Mazda 2 just too small and underpowered and CX 5 obviously too big. So that's it Mazda sorry but there are better out there for the same money.

I accept people love their CX 3's and would hate an Astra so in the end it's all down to personal preference etc and I wish everyone happy motoring with their CX 3's.
CX-3 SE-Nav in Dynamic Blue Mica with Centre Arm rest.

Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Surprised about the gearbox, I find mine excellent and it's certainly well reviewed.

Understand about the plastics which are cheap and on the hard side.

I have a love/hate with the infotainment personally.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

All things that can be identified on a test drive.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I'd certainly have a CX-3 over an Astra but each to their own.

My CX-3 goes back in a couple of weeks after two years and I've enjoyed driving it.
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

I have only had mine a week so my opinion may change but the gearbox on mine is as good as the one on my previous Mazda 2 and nearly as good as the MX5 that the wife owns.

Tyre and wind noise have been fine for a small SUV and that's after a 200 mile drive along the M1 and M6.

But the interior could do with an improvement but i looked at the Kia Stonic or whatever it is called and the plastics in that make the CX3 look like a premium brand.

Good luck with your new car and thanks for your honest views.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Greenman wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm All things that can be identified on a test drive.
It depends on the test drive and the roads on which it took place.

The level of road noise is perfectly acceptable on good smooth surfaces, but on coarse surfaces it is impossible to listen to the radio at normal volume. This may be due in part to the rock hard Bridgestone Turanza tyres, which I cannot wait to replace, but the fact that the latest CX-3 has extra sound insulation proves that noise was a problem with the original version, which Mazda has been made well aware of.

Devon Man was spot on when he described the driving experience as "strained and unrefined". Such a pity that a commendably quiet engine and automatic transmission should be drowned out by a noisy unforgiving ride. Next time I will be looking for a less stressful car.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

zoylander wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:18 pm
Greenman wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm All things that can be identified on a test drive.
It depends on the test drive and the roads on which it took place.

The level of road noise is perfectly acceptable on good smooth surfaces, but on coarse surfaces it is impossible to listen to the radio at normal volume. This may be due in part to the rock hard Bridgestone Turanza tyres, which I cannot wait to replace, but the fact that the latest CX-3 has extra sound insulation proves that noise was a problem with the original version, which Mazda has been made well aware of.

Devon Man was spot on when he described the driving experience as "strained and unrefined". Such a pity that a commendably quiet engine and automatic transmission should be drowned out by a noisy unforgiving ride. Next time I will be looking for a less stressful car.
Here’s hoping a test drive satisfies you before you part with your cash.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Totally disagree about interior quality - Sport Nav outshines some friends' cars (Mercs BMWs). I used to have a Renault Captur (by the way the new Captur looks tired and old) but I didn't hang around on their forum to moan and groan after I changed to the CX3. Hope Vauxhall have sorted their fire issues now!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Good luck servicing and maintaining a Vauxhall with a 1/3 of dealerships due to be closed
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

tyrfelin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 am Totally disagree about interior quality - Sport Nav outshines some friends' cars (Mercs BMWs).
I agree - I think the CX3 is great quality inside for its segment and price point.
And the CX3 is considerably cheaper than its peer group of Honda HRV, Toyota CH-R, BMW X1 etc