CarPlay finally

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

Thanks JT. I'll try removing the CD player first and see if it's of any benefit. If there is going to be a large amount of console trim removal I may well just go down the drill-out route.

I've been using both Waze and Google Maps via Carplay in another vehicle we have and both a million miles better than the Mazda system. I had to visit a building in Reading earlier this week that has been there, with the same address, for a good 10 years. The best the Mazda system could do was point me to the opposite end of the road via postcode, it wouldn't even give me the option of entering a building number, 500, as number 5 was greyed out. I dare say if I'd had a bit more time I could have scrolled around the map and marked the location, but I'd have done that by referring to Google maps on my phone anyway. I ended up running the Mazda nav and Google maps side by side to compare. Set to 'fastest route' with no 'avoid' set the Mazda nav started off showing me a journey time around 30 minutes longer than Google and continually tried to route me off the motorway and around the lanes until I was well over half way there, with the journey times slowly becoming more aligned.

I dare say there is an element of user impatience involved, but Google and Waze are so much simpler to get going with.

Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

So, all pretty easy. It took about two hours start to finish including the software upgrade time.

I slid out the CD unit which then exposes the top side of the USB hub. You can then use something thin to slide between the fascia and the tabs on the top of the hub to depress them. The top edge can then be eased out and by lifting from the back of the unit and with a bit of firm wiggling it comes out without having to access the bottom tabs.

The screen unit is easy to remove and the cables are easy to route through. Gettting everything back in is a bit more of a challenge as the existing cables are tightly bound and quite stiff so you have to have everything tucked out of the way before sliding everything home, and the new cables are long enough to suit a double decker bus.

Livened up and working nicely so far 😀
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

Following up after now having Carplay working for a couple of weeks, all good apart from one major downside.

Having it in two cars gives me the opportunity for side by side comparison and the Mazda system being 'locked out' of touchscreen use when moving is a real disadvantage in my opinion. It is vastly more distracting to be hunting around with the commander than it is to simply reach out and touch what you want on the screen, which we can in the other car.

Is anyone aware of a way to over-ride it and make touch screen active whilst moving? I know it used to be possible with tweaks in previous firmware but I believe Mazda have managed to shut the door on that?
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Gadgetman wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 am … Is anyone aware of a way to over-ride it and make touch screen active whilst moving? I know it used to be possible with tweaks in previous firmware but I believe Mazda have managed to shut the door on that?
I don't think you'll get Mazda to allow touchscreen use whilst driving for safety reasons. The screen is just that bit too from the driver, which is why they put the commander knob within easy reach.

Mazda have now made it difficult to add unofficial tweaks to the MZD Connect operating system.

I'm still experimenting with the Waze navigation app on CarPlay. So far, I've managed with the commander knob to use the various functions, but it has voice control too that I haven't tried yet.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

I'm considering Android Auto installation and have a question hopefully someone who has it can answer?

Normally when using the CX-3 sat nav, I have the map on the screen and voice instructions on. I also play music from the radio or USB stick. When the nav instructions are read the music volume is reduced so you can hear the instructions then it returns to normal level after.

If I were using android auto with Google navigation, does this integrate with the audio source from the car radio/USB in the same way?

For example can I listen to the car radio while displaying google maps and will the google voice navigation reduce the radio volume level when it is speaking?

Thanks

Andy
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Deep Crystal Blue Mica, Half Stone Leather
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

It's possible I'm missing something here but the CarPlay doesn't interest me what so ever.
I have an Android phone linked with hands-free and messaging and I have a USB stick with 4000+ music tracks on it.
What more is CarPlay going to give me?
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
DrewUK

Post by DrewUK »

AndyH wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 pm I'm considering Android Auto installation and have a question hopefully someone who has it can answer?

Normally when using the CX-3 sat nav, I have the map on the screen and voice instructions on. I also play music from the radio or USB stick. When the nav instructions are read the music volume is reduced so you can hear the instructions then it returns to normal level after.

If I were using android auto with Google navigation, does this integrate with the audio source from the car radio/USB in the same way?

For example can I listen to the car radio while displaying google maps and will the google voice navigation reduce the radio volume level when it is speaking?

Thanks

Andy
Hi there

What you’re asking is exactly how it works via CarPlay - using apple or google maps the sound source is reduced whilst sat nav instructions are given. I can’t see why android auto won’t do the same.

Drew
CX-3 Sport Nav+, Soul Red Crystal, 2.0 Petrol, Automatic, Safety Pack.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Thanks Drew, it's good to know that I could still have audio playing from the car radio/USB while using AA/CarPlay.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Deep Crystal Blue Mica, Half Stone Leather
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Gadgetman wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 am

Having it in two cars gives me the opportunity for side by side comparison and the Mazda system being 'locked out' of touchscreen use when moving is a real disadvantage in my opinion. It is vastly more distracting to be hunting around with the commander than it is to simply reach out and touch what you want on the screen, which we can in the other car.

I'm of the opposite opinion - my last car was touch screen and I was for ever touching the wrong icon as the car jigged around. On the CX3 it is too far a stretch to reach the screen while driving.
I either use the command wheel (I rarely need to look at the screen when using it) or I use the voice control.