Are you worried about Keyless Car Theft

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Not been an issue for me previously as all my cars have had a normal key/transponder for security.

However with the large increase in keyless car theft(mainly Audi BMW Mercedes etc) does this make you take additional steps with where you park your vehicle or leave the keys in the house.

I know that the Mazda CX3 is not top of any car sealing list but the humble Ford Fiesta in now the number one target in the North East.

I do think keyless entry is a great idea but i don't think the security issues have been resolved and the fact some people are advising fitting a steering wheel lock takes me back to the 80's.

I park mine on the drive and i used to leave the keys in the kitchen at the back of the house but with what i have seen on TV and read in the papers i am not sure that my car is as safe as it could be.

Does this issue worry you and what steps do you take.

Mark

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I'm not taking any special steps, or let it worry me.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Yes it worries me - having had our Bora stolen from our driveway/hard standing by thieves breaking in during the night (us asleep upstairs) and finding the keys, it's foremost in my mind when we park up and go indoors. We now leave the CX3 keys in a tin hoping it'll stop the ba$t@rd$ cloning the keys from outside, I suppose we should get a 'pouch' or something to keep them in whilst we roam around supermarkets etc?
If they *really* want the car they'll get it somehow, I've known people woken up at night by an intruder demanding they hand over the keys, police have said to leave keys in a prominent place if you don't want to be terrorised!
Btw, the Bora was used in an armed robbery at services on the A2 near Whitstable in Kent the same morning!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I tried putting the keys in a tin and tested this by taking the tin near the car and pressing the button - surprise the door unlocked. We now put them in our safe whenever we are indoors (even in the day). Don't know for sure if this works although the safe is pretty thick it is bolted to the wall so can't carry it outside. You can only go so far in trying to protect your property after all. It's not so much a break-in to get the keys, our GSD would take care of that, it is them using these new gadgets to emulate your key is the problem. All the precautions at home come to nothing if you are out and about having a coffee and your car is parked nearby. A visual CCTV covering the drive might help, this records 24 hours a day but would the police really be interested anyway.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
davidrew

Post by davidrew »

CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol 2.0 in Soul Red
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I used to keep the car keys on a hook by the front door, they are now kept in a Faraday pouch away from the front door.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Something like this could be useful http://www.defendersignalblocker.co.uk/

There are plenty of other similar ones on Amazon. Just make sure the key is placed within the "foil" pocket part where there are 2 pockets otherwise the blocking won't work!
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I just take the normal precautions i.e.
Keeping the car at home in a locked garage when not in use.
Keeping the key fob out of sight in the house, which has a good intruder alarm.
As others have said, the car is vulnerable when parked away from home. Does GAP Insurance cover loss by theft?
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Good Question!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Handy Andy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:25 am I tried putting the keys in a tin and tested this by taking the tin near the car and pressing the button - surprise the door unlocked.
Ha ha... Yes didn't actually *think* of trying it out :lol: so I just did and the car unlocked :? , BUT, tried wrapping a small tub with good old kitchen foil and popped the key in and the car *didn't* unlock, I think it was down to the tin is painted and the lid not making good contact with the tin itself, so there's a cheap n cheerful solution. We have a small set of drawers where we used to keep the car key in before the tin, so I think I'll just line the key drawer with foil - job done 8-)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...