Are you worried about Keyless Car Theft

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

zoylander wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:45 pm Does GAP Insurance cover loss by theft?
ALA at the top of this forum seem to cover total loss by theft - of course it has to be total loss agreed with your insurance company.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...

Grumpydad

Post by Grumpydad »

My fiesta st3 is one of the most stolen hot hatches in the country. My insurance company now insists I have a disc lock fitted even though thefts down South arn't as common. The keys are kept in a faraday pouch when I get home and I've also moved the obd port.
2018 CX-3 GT Sport Automatic Ceramic Metallic. Options fitted, arm rest, led interior lamps, sill plates, boot mat and front bumper trim cover.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Just to drag this thread up again -
In Bluewater the Police have a 'shop' where they sell various security devices and one can get general hints and tips on higher home/car security, one of the things on offer are Faraday pouches for car keys, so we bought a couple, went back to the car popped the keys in them and tried unlocking the car - the car unlocked... tried starting the car - the car started and we drove off...

They'll be going back for a refund!
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

AndyRen wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:18 am Just to drag this thread up again -
In Bluewater the Police have a 'shop' where they sell various security devices and one can get general hints and tips on higher home/car security, one of the things on offer are Faraday pouches for car keys, so we bought a couple, went back to the car popped the keys in them and tried unlocking the car - the car unlocked... tried starting the car - the car started and we drove off...

They'll be going back for a refund!
Hi Andy,
I bought two of these from Amazon and they seem to be working okay.
They do have two pockets in them, one is in front of the shielded enclosure and the other is in between the shielded material.
The photos showed the key in front of the shields, which doesn't work. It must be between the shield with the top folded over.
If that doesn't work then it's a pile of poo :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Hi Andy,
I bought two of these from Amazon and they seem to be working okay.
They do have two pockets in them, one is in front of the shielded enclosure and the other is in between the shielded material.
The photos showed the key in front of the shields, which doesn't work. It must be between the shield with the top folded over.
If that doesn't work then it's a pile of poo :lol:
Yes, totally aware of the 'two pocket' design and made sure they were in the 'high security' part and the flap secured properly! Only reason we bought from the Police shop rather than eBay/Amazon was we assumed the items would be tried and tested - boy were we wrong!

In fact my wife has still got her keys securely in the pouch and she'd been driving around fine since we bought them :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I also brought one from amazon which didn't work that well, I wrapped the key in silver foil first then it was fine, only for the spair though.
The daily key is in a Faraday pouch that works and is on a hook well away from the front door.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

I know tin foil does the trick and an old Strepsils/ tobacco tin would probably suffice - but they're thin on the ground now as everything comes in plastic pouches! A metal tin where the lid is in good electrical contact with the base should work well.

A good shed rummage is in order.... Once the weather warms up a bit :lol:
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

I bought a couple from bargains-den on Ebay for under £5 and they both work fine. I was in my local Mazda dealer the other day and, if I remember correctly, they were selling one for about £20. :?:
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I've got a metal Quality Street tin from Christmas but it won't fit in my pocket 😀
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Our CX-3 is garaged in an attached building, heavy duty roller shutters and top quality alarm system and GAP insurance.
I'm not unduly worried but I would be if I street parking at home.
I think it's disgraceful that the manufacturers have done little or nothing to combats this serious security flaw in the system.
I understand only Marcedes has introduced a fob that goes to sleep and stops transmitting after 5 minutes of not being moved.
My daughter bought a new Toyota CHR yesterday and I ordered for her two faraday pouches recommended by Auto Express £5 each.
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.