Sport mode button

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
piekkok

Post by piekkok »

Hi,

The first week driving my CX-3 is done!
And i still am happy with my first Mazda!
I have a question about the sport mode button in my CX-3 automatic.
What does this button do exactly? The only thing i've noticed is that, when driving in the sport mode, the gearbox stops shifting till the fifth gear. The sixth gear is not being used driving approx. 120 kilometers per hour... When the sport mode button is off, the sixth gear is being used, regarding the RPM indicator...
Is anyone using the sport mode button, and for what reason?

Regards,
Gert
I drive a CX-3, happily! :P

ptirving

Post by ptirving »

The box will hold onto a gear for longer, eg rather than changing up at 2500 rpm it will change at 3000rpm. If my figures are correct from memory, it will therefore reach peak torque which is at about 2800rpm iirc
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
ptirving

Post by ptirving »

Or you can stick it in manual and rev the nuts off it๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿ‘น
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
piekkok

Post by piekkok »

Okay..., i think iโ€™ll stay off the sport mode button then...๐Ÿ˜ณ
Maybe it has something to do with my age, or with the fact the car is still new for me...
Thanks for your reply.

Gert
I drive a CX-3, happily! :P
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I find (in my manual geared CX3) changing up at around 3K revs or just beyond I get a much smoother gear change - zoom zoom as they say 8-)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

It all depends on how you drive your car and what you want out of it. Normally mine seems to change around 2k.
However I find that If you use normal mode the car can change down when accelerating out of a corner or off a roundabout upsetting the balance. If you use the sports mode prior to entering the corner or roundabout the car is already in the required gear for acceleration out of the corner and because there isn't that gear change searching for the the ideal power / torque the balance of the car isn't upset. It feels much more rewarding to drive.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

AndyRen wrote: โ†‘Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 am I find (in my manual geared CX3) changing up at around 3K revs or just beyond I get a much smoother gear change - zoom zoom as they say 8-)
What a wimp...wait until the pistons are bouncing off the bonnet and then change up. :P
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

piekkok wrote: โ†‘Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 pm What does [the sport mode button] do exactly?
Gert
Not much. It speeds up the air conditioning blower so you feel more wind blowing through your hair!
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

MJC1216 wrote: โ†‘Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 pm
AndyRen wrote: โ†‘Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 am I find (in my manual geared CX3) changing up at around 3K revs or just beyond I get a much smoother gear change - zoom zoom as they say 8-)
What a wimp...wait until the pistons are bouncing off the bonnet and then change up. :P
Lol Agreed! Am pleasantly surprised how well it goes given a bit (lot!) of wellie actually. 8-)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...