what's not!!

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

After a month of CX3 ownership I have reached a conclusion, or more especially several!
Pros; I love the HUD! I love the "bendy" headlight beams! I love the driving position and seats! I love the reverse camera , even though It's a touch off line!
I love the manual gearbox! I love the 2 litre Petrol, although mpg is only on a par with my 3.5 litre MGV8!! I quite like the INFOtainment and the centre knob control! Road holding is really good for a SUV! The interior feels and looks quality! The sound system is decent!!
Cons; The Sat Nav is poor! The Air Con is poor! The absence of a proper spare and jack (now remedied) is "pants"! MY hill start assist doesn't do anything and neither does the "Smart" city braking!! ( I have experimented till I'm blue in the mouth)! The camera doesn't read speed limit signs, or, worse, the system defers to the much out of date Sat Nav info!! (Updated just after I bought the car, but still way out of date)! Auto high beam dipping doesn't work before serious retinal damage is inflicted to oncoming drivers! (Yes I have the settings correct!)
Cruise control is likely to fail you, if set to the speed limit and a speed camera or PC is sited on a downhill stretch, which is quite common as it increases convictions and therefore, revenue. Set to 30 mine will creep to 34mph on a hill, hence I have to set it to 28mph.

Conclusions: Expect a vehicle which is a comfortable environment in which to travel.
If it says it will do things automatically, DON"T rely on it!!
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I agree you cannot rely on everything being automatically controlled but in all fairness it is meant to supplement your driving not replace it

Sat Nav – yes the display is not up to modern standards, the screen quality is below par but I find the on route traffic display to be accurate. I haven’t encountered any out of date mappings yet.

My Smart City braking works fine – tested by accident (or nearly accident)

Speed limit indicator – seems OK except the national speed limit sign which is always picked up later by GPS

Auto high beam - Never had any problems or flashing from the opposite direction

Cruise control – yes mine picks up a bit downhill, probably because mine is an auto box which is a torque converter type, my previous car which had a DSG box didn’t suffer from this.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I like the *idea* behind the infotainment but it's very quirky and inconsistant.
We were in Fairlight the other day and I asked it to navigate to Hastings (2 miles away.. Ish) and it kept saying Pardon? Eventually we did it by hand but it would only navigate to Hastings Drive in Oxfordshire or somewhere equally ridiculous. :)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi Andy
Do you have the latest firmware?
I went from Newchurch to Hastings last weekend and I ended up where I expected to be. So mine knows where Hastings is.
Andy
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

AndyRen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 pm … Eventually we did it by hand but it would only navigate to Hastings Drive in Oxfordshire or somewhere equally ridiculous. :)

It sounds like you were entering the destination incorrectly. When entering an address the sat nav will default to the country and town you're currently in. If it was coming up with the name of a road, you were no doubt entering Hastings into the <Street Name> field, but you should have selected the Town field above that and entered it there.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

SoonerV8 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 am … MY hill start assist doesn't do anything and neither does the "Smart" city braking!! ( I have experimented till I'm blue in the mouth)!..
… The camera doesn't read speed limit signs...
… Auto high beam dipping doesn't work before serious retinal damage is inflicted to oncoming drivers! (Yes I have the settings correct!)…
Ask your dealer to investigate these concerns. The smart city braking, traffic sign recognition, high beam control and adaptive LED headlights all rely on information from the Front Sensing Camera (FSC) behind the rear view mirror, so that could be faulty or mis-aligned. Although there are many situations that the present technology can't cope with, eg dirty signs, rain, snow, fog, sharp bends, undulations, bright light etc., etc.
Cruise control is likely to fail you, if set to the speed limit and a speed camera or PC is sited on a downhill stretch, which is quite common as it increases convictions and therefore, revenue. Set to 30 mine will creep to 34mph on a hill, hence I have to set it to 28mph...
This is not uncommon on non-adaptive cruise control systems as there is no control of the vehicle's brakes. To slow down, the system just decreases throttle.
Conclusions: Expect a vehicle which is a comfortable environment in which to travel.
If it says it will do things automatically, DON"T rely on it!!
I agree, and Mazda says in the Owner's manual on numerous occasions not to rely on the automation.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Sorry but disagree with a number of your points.

The Hill Start Assist does work along with the Smart City Brake as happened to me last week.

The Sat Nav screen is poor but the routing and re-routing are better than my Garmin and not far away from the class leading Waze App.

I do fully agree that the camera is poor at reading the speed limit signs but is there for guidance and you should always use your own eyes and judgement.

I have some minor issues with things that could be better but overall i am pleased with mine and made the right choice.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Jt... It was in the "town" field - but I agree it was probably user error of some kind, this is the first car we've had with onboard satnav - plus all it's quirks (and my ummm... memory!)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

1216. I'm not clear how you can "disagree". They don't work ON MY CAR!!! That's a statement of fact!!
As far as reading signs is concerned, I'm sure that's is a programming issue. The camera has no problem at all with muddy, dirty or faded white lines, for lane departure warning, hence probably does see the signs. The "program just chooses to defer to out of date Sat Nav data, instead of believing "it's own eye!!"
My previous, non adaptive, Toyota cruise control DID apply brakes on down hill sections. I always assumed it was tied into the ABS system.
As I said before I love the car, but it's not doing "exactly what it says on the tin", which is mildly disappointing.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

SoonerV8 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 pm 1216. I'm not clear how you can "disagree". They don't work ON MY CAR!!! That's a statement of fact!!
As far as reading signs is concerned, I'm sure that's is a programming issue. The camera has no problem at all with muddy, dirty or faded white lines, for lane departure warning, hence probably does see the signs. The "program just chooses to defer to out of date Sat Nav data, instead of believing "it's own eye!!"
My previous, non adaptive, Toyota cruise control DID apply brakes on down hill sections. I always assumed it was tied into the ABS system.
As I said before I love the car, but it's not doing "exactly what it says on the tin", which is mildly disappointing.
Take it back to the dealer as it's a problem with your car and let us know what problems they find.