Chips with everything

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

HMMMM interesting debate. The £495 + vat seems a little OTT to me.
I would also question the warranty issue. I very much doubt whether a marginal increase in power and torque, on any engine, would trigger any issues, after all I would be pretty sure that mass produced engines outputs vary naturally anyway, and even with insurance companies propensity to avoid paying out, I doubt whether they would take the trouble to put a vehicle on a rolling road, assuming of course it would be capable of such a test!!!
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I agree that a small increase in power is unlikely to cause any issues, however no manufacturer is going to pay out thousands of pounds unnecessarily. Unless you can afford to take the chance it is best not to.
With regards to insurance, it is only fair to yourself and other road users to make sure you are fully covered. Please remember that the police have the right to download all the information from your car in the event of an accident. They can and will look at every aspect of how your car was used and will find any deviation from the manufacturers specification. If anybody is injured (including yourself) and cannot work you will be held liable and will have no assistance from the insurance company.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

This debate has been going round and round auto forums/chatrooms for as long as computers have been online! Any change to manufactures figures from suspension, colour, wheels (!) engine mods and especially emissions now, will theoretically invalidate your warranty and/or insurance full stop - but of course if the modifications are not noticed or found you'll probably get away with it.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Yes Andy and it's also illegal to drive while under the influence of drugs and alcohol and if you are not noticed you'll probably get away with it. That doesn't make it right does it?
Let's use some common sense and abide by the rules.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I wasn't for one moment suggesting anyone go ahead with anything even slightly dodgy, just putting in my 2 penneth on the age old question.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

AndyRen wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:26 pm I wasn't for one moment suggesting anyone go ahead with anything even slightly dodgy, just putting in my 2 penneth on the age old question.
Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that, like you I was just putting forward the argument.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Strangways wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 am Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that, like you I was just putting forward the argument.
;) 8-)

I have come across many people who have changed aspects of their vehicle and not - shall we say - bothered to contact their insurance company putting themselves and others at risk in many ways and I think it's perhaps a bit naive for people to think that a bhp/torque boost without informing whoever needs to know will 'possibly' be OK. An engine mod will effect all areas of the drivetrain/brakes/suspension and handling in the eyes of the insurance/police in the case of an accident and the manufacturers in the case of a warranty claim.
I would love to be proven wrong, but try going to your dealer and stating you've had your ecu modded and is your warranty still in force and watch his/her face :lol: ...... even if they look favorably on it, try then taking it to Mazda head office who ultimately confirm any claims. :shock:

Of course the next worry is buying second hand, especially a newer diesel.... How the hell do you know if what you have parked outside is in fact road legal?? Is there actually a DPF in that big container?? Has the EGR been blanked off?? Has the ECU been tampered with??

Modern day motoring eh! ... Ahh dunno! :D