tyres

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Beachman

Post by Beachman »

back to a old subject
has anyone fitted cross climate tyres yet, if so what is the effect on noise?
the reason I ask my car coming up to 3 years old, I don't want to change t as it goes so well with 19000 0n clock
but road noise does sound abit
Se-l nav auto dynamic blue petrol

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I've still got the summer originals on mine. Just a thought - whilst it's good to get people's opinion on the subject - tyres these days have an EU label which, amongst other things, states the exterior noise grading expressed in decibels. Tyre shops like blackcircles.com put the EU label data for each tyre on their websites, so you should be able to compare quoted noise levels between your current and alternative summer, winter and cross climate tyres fairly easily.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Mazda didn't put much soundproofing in the early CX-3 models which saved weight (and money). You might consider fitting a kit diy or professionally - e.g. https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product-categ ... cles/cars/ ?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Not cross climate, but I fitted Falkens to the front of mine and it reduced the noise level. I did have Toyo which are rated at 70db and I think the Falkens are 67db which is half the noise level.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Strangways wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 pm Not cross climate, but I fitted Falkens to the front of mine and it reduced the noise level. I did have Toyo which are rated at 70db and I think the Falkens are 67db which is half the noise level.
Out of interest, are the Falken's you've got fitted the Azensis FK453CC type? They are rated at 67dB. Reason I ask is there was a tyre test of 10 types in last week's Auto Express. They included the Azensis FK510 type and it came =5th overall (the top 3 were Continental PremiumContact 6 with equal 2nd place Dunlop Sport MAXX RT2 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4) but it came last on cabin noise. It was stated to be 69dB. So suggests if going for the Falken tyre for low noise it is best to go for the FK453CC type. Note the lowest for cabin noise were Avon ZV7 but they finished last place in around 6 or 7 of the tests and last place overall!
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:05 am
Strangways wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 pm Not cross climate, but I fitted Falkens to the front of mine and it reduced the noise level. I did have Toyo which are rated at 70db and I think the Falkens are 67db which is half the noise level.
Out of interest, are the Falken's you've got fitted the Azensis FK453CC type? They are rated at 67dB. Reason I ask is there was a tyre test of 10 types in last week's Auto Express. They included the Azensis FK510 type and it came =5th overall (the top 3 were Continental PremiumContact 6 with equal 2nd place Dunlop Sport MAXX RT2 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4) but it came last on cabin noise. It was stated to be 69dB. So suggests if going for the Falken tyre for low noise it is best to go for the FK453CC type. Note the lowest for cabin noise were Avon ZV7 but they finished last place in around 6 or 7 of the tests and last place overall!
Yes they are the FK453CC type.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

jtonline wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:30 pm Mazda didn't put much soundproofing in the early CX-3 models which saved weight (and money). You might consider fitting a kit diy or professionally - e.g. https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product-categ ... cles/cars/ ?
At last the truth comes out! I have complained about the CX-3's noisy ride ever since joining this forum, only to be given flippant unhelpful suggestions such as "turn up the stereo".

My 2016 CX-3 has the worst road noise of any car I have owned in over 50 years driving, and I intend to fit Michelin Cross Climate tyres as soon as the rock hard Bridgestone Turanzas need replacing. If this does not reduce the noise to an acceptable level I will consider soundproofing, but at my age this is not a DIY job.

If anyone can recommend a professional soundproofing installer in my area, now's the time.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

zoylander wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm
jtonline wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:30 pm Mazda didn't put much soundproofing in the early CX-3 models which saved weight (and money). You might consider fitting a kit diy or professionally - e.g. https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product-categ ... cles/cars/ ?
At last the truth comes out! I have complained about the CX-3's noisy ride ever since joining this forum, only to be given flippant unhelpful suggestions such as "turn up the stereo".

My 2016 CX-3 has the worst road noise of any car I have owned in over 50 years driving, and I intend to fit Michelin Cross Climate tyres as soon as the rock hard Bridgestone Turanzas need replacing. If this does not reduce the noise to an acceptable level I will consider soundproofing, but at my age this is not a DIY job.

If anyone can recommend a professional soundproofing installer in my area, now's the time.
I recall the comments, but I would say they were more lighthearted than flippant. The fact is that your CX3 was fitted with one of the noisiest tyres. Albeit a very hard wearing and robust tyre. I found that by fitting Falkens and reducing the noise levels by half it was far more acceptable.
For me, it is what it is. The very best SUV drive with fantastic handling and steering. If you want a quiet comfy limo then look elsewhere, this car is for a driver not a passenger.
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

Nice not many people realise that 3 dB is double in the sound so 1dB difference is quite significant
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Gordongilchrist wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 pm
Nice not many people realise that 3 dB is double in the sound so 1dB difference is quite significant
I've always thought, whilst dB may be great for technical people, why isn't there a simple reading for the vast majority of people who haven't got a clue what the difference between two dB readings really means. Whilst I'd prefer something where twice the number meant twice as loud and half the number meant half as loud, the comparison numbers could be rather vast e.g. from doing a search, it seems a jet engine is 1,000,000,000,000 as loud as the quietest sound! So I just need to remember that for every 10dB increase, the sounds is 10 times louder - simples. For a laugh, the search page also said a car horn is 110dB - whoever worked that out hadn't tested a Mazda one! :)
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016