Recommendations for new tyres

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

AndyRen
Just before I sold my Jeep Patriot to a lady I fitted a new set of all season Falken tires as i did not want her to have an accident where the old tires could be atributed to blame.
The difference the new Falken tires made to the driving experiance was fantastic, the price was more than reasonable.The tread was designed to favour wet roads.
Falken is not a new kid on the block by a long shot, they even do "one off" race car tires .

Somers CX3 soul red auto

switchback

Post by switchback »

AndyRen wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:43 pm
SoonerV8 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:25 pm My Toyo Proxes seem fine to me, reasonably quiet too. But haven't been off-roading yet to check grip levels yet!!!!
:shock: hardly think the CX3 is an offroader :shock: :lol:

Unless you have the 4wd version of course... but even then :?
I took mine off-road in the forest last week while towing a trailer through a few inches of mud and it was fine on the standard Toyo's. My previous car was as Qashqai 4X4 which hardly ever put any drive to the rear wheels even when towing through quite deep rutted mud which is why I stuck with 2WD this time. Ground clearance is the main requirement.

2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

I would invite you to visit "you tube ">>> 7 of the best all season tyres for 2018 <<< A southern parts U.K. video .
Also you will find another video by the same narrator dealing with Winter tyres.

This morning I am going to run an inflation test of ONE P.S.I above the door sticker this is to alow for one week perion of deflation .

I doubt if I will be able to reduce the stock tire noise which I am convinced results from road quality.

Note at the end of the test there will be an increase in tyre pressure due to heat from the disk brakes and tyre road contact , tyres inflated with lower pressure always generate more heat.

Somers : CX3: Auto : Proxes R40 : 215 x 50 x 18
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

TYRE ROAD NOISE.

Road quality 80 / 100 + two hils.
Road : Dry.
Out side tempreture 82 F.
Full Sun.
Vehicle Mazda CX3
Passengers ~ none.
Driver weight : 190 lbs.
Gas tank 3/4 full.
Road holding Good. 90/100
Ride Quality Good. 90/100
Steering Good . 90/100
Milage 15k / ltr . 80/100
Vehicle speed average say 40 K

START: Toyo tyre Pressure cold 34 PSI front ~ 31 PSI rear
: Journey 6 K Return
FINISH:Toyo Tyre pressure test warm 36 PSI front ~ 31.5 PSI rear

Tyre noise :Liveable: say 20 /100 max ~ 10/100 min.

It was my decision for the test to be done with start tyre 34 PSI front ~ 31 PSI rear pressure or one pound above door stickrer of 33 /30.I did not want the front tires pressure to reach 38 PSI warm.

Somers CX3 Auto: Tyres Toyo 215 / 50 / 18
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

I would like to recomend/ surgest that owners continue run your CX 3 with the origional Toyo tyres for their full life span at least while the new cars are under waranty,at the door sticker P.S.I . 33/30 checking the P.S.I . on a weekly basis.

Reason being ~ Tread wear ; Steering ; Wheel bearings ; Suspension & un~sprung wheel weight.

Somers CX3 Auto.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

CABIN NOISE.
I am thinking that many owners like me have been over inflating their CX3 Toyo tires. = NOISE.

Car tires are a compromise as their is no perfect tire for every driving situation.
Variables :-
Price
Tread wear
Season
Comfort
Road holding
Tempreture.
Road / trail conditions
Weight
Weather >>>> to name a few.

ADVICE : Never buy cheep tires, always buy the very best as yours and others lives depends on that.

CX3 cabin noise can be reduced considerably on some stretches of road down to zero by setting the tire pressure according to the manual 33 psi front and 30 psi rear.

( The engineers say so. )

However , I recomend that you check your tire pressure every few days, failing that, go to 34 psi front and 31 psi rear if your tires are loosing air.

( I have one lazy tire. )

1) You will also find the ride much improved to the point of being enjoyble.
2) Your milage will be uneffected.
3) Tire side wall show no wear as the tire rides on its tire patch .
4) 50 % profile tires do not require high psi.
5 ) Road holding is much improved.
6) To your advantage your tires should tell you the condition of the road, that is a good thing.

Enjoy !

Somers CX3 Soul red Auto :o Toyo tires :
igloo_si

Post by igloo_si »

in the end i bought Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance
Petrol Ceramic White SE-L 03/16 CX3
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

igloo_si wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 pm in the end i bought Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance
What are they like for comfort, road holding and noise compared to the Toyos?
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
igloo_si

Post by igloo_si »

dunno about Toyo as i had bridgestone turenza fitted when new. those we're shit in the wet, so these are much better. noise is marginally quieter.
Petrol Ceramic White SE-L 03/16 CX3
Naem

Post by Naem »

They don't make CrossClimate wheels which fit the 18" wheels :(

215 / 50 R18

Looking for suggestions here too but I've come up short on my meandering research. Appreciated this suggestion and running with it:
SOMERS wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:00 pm I would like to recomend/ surgest that owners continue run your CX 3 with the origional Toyo tyres for their full life span at least while the new cars are under waranty,at the door sticker P.S.I . 33/30 checking the P.S.I . on a weekly basis.

Reason being ~ Tread wear ; Steering ; Wheel bearings ; Suspension & un~sprung wheel weight.

Somers CX3 Auto.
Mazda CX-3 (2016) | 2.0L Petrol 2wd | Sport Nav 6 Speed | Deep Crystal Blue

Infotainment system customized with Mazda AIO Tweaks 8-)