Washing/cleaning a CX3 is easy!

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

In winter months or when a car is seriously dirty I usually succumb to a hand car wash, but ever since owning my CX3 in july, I have only found it necessary to carefully and very lightly dust the main body of the vehicle with a large microfibre cloth, then use a wet leather( sometimes with pink Demon Shine)--to bring it back to showroom shine. I then use proper window cloths for the windscreen and should the wheels/alloys look a bit muddy/dusty apply a generous sponge and bucket of water with a little washing up liquid to the entire wheel area. Job done in 10 mins.
OK-the weather has been good and dry and i DO have to be very careful not putting too much energy into the microfibre or else i'll maybe scratch, but the fact that the vehicle is higher off the ground than a normal saloon means it is picking up less kerbside splashes and country mud . Its' also only when you start doing the job that you realise how few dirt crannies there are all the way round--even at the front-making the task quicker and easier.
It's always taken me ages to wash/clean Peugots, VW's and Renaults -SO I think i can honestly say that my CX3 has been the easiest car to hand home wash I have ever had . Comments welcome!
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Did you have some kind of paint sealant applied when you bought the car???
I spent 3hrs Sunday foaming/washing and polishing our CX-3!
But the soul red really does appreciate a good clean I think ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿš˜
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

What you describe is pretty much a no no in car detailing circles.
Do I understand you dry wiped an uncleaned car? Washing up liquid removes wax protection and contains salt so can be corrosive.
If you want a quick wash, YouTube search for ONR or Optimum No Rinse. It's quick; it avoids scratches and if you use deionized water you can leave it to dry from wet.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I actually enjoy driving my car, so I take it to a car wash if it gets dirty and then clean off the bits the car wash misses. Looks lovely when it's clean and saves a lot of elbow grease.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Nice comments--thanks

No--I did not have any paint treatment(s) when buying the car --altho' I did get a heavy sell!

Should have added that my microfibre friend ALSO works a quick treat when "drying" car after it has been left outside in drenching rain!

Agree that what I do is against all "detailing best practice"--but it works for me and no damage is done. Of course-if the car was caked with dirt and mud--I wouldn't have dreamt of any kind of dry wipe. It would be big bucket or hose time!

Re the comment of washing up liquid containing salt--that's of course true--but a mini teaspoon of the stuff in a large bucket of warm water for wheel use only--is --I hope--hardly going to be sending my car to the rust knackers yard just for the moment!
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

Dogfuzz wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 am

Agree that what I do is against all "detailing best practice"--but it works for me and no damage is done.
Unfortunately that's not really true. Just touching the car with your fingers imparts small micro scratches; what you really mean to say is you cannot see the damage you cause.

Over time a 'haze' of swirls reduces the clarity and reflectivity of the paint. It happens slowly over time with many touches and It is more obvious on darker cars, especially so in bright sunlight. So no need to worry until next Spring now!

But if you are happy with what you see - keep on trucking!
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

My Father would say :-

" Where there is muck there is money".

IN MY OPINION !
Washing and prepping cars to day boarder lines on science as some will have you beleive, not so.

" If you have the will you will find the way "

I do have my reasons for not subjecting my car to a commersial automatic rotary car wash proceedures.

Car wash products have come along way, regardless, it would be wize to read product lebels to determine product aplication and content prior to your selection and purchase.

No two people wash their cars in the same way or with the same products, it is all a matter of personal choice reguarding their selection reguarding one automobile product or proceedure over another.

There are reconized proceedures for acheiving that show room look on your Car body ; Engine compartment; Underbody; Wheels; Tires and wheel arches, all in the name of aerobic exercise.

However,there there are certain items in the domestic products line which could cause paint damage and should be avoided for example household detergents,they do not fill the bill .

May I recomend established popular car wash products which claims not to remove wax before time, there are some car washes which enhances the paint work finish and well as protecting it.
in later articles I would like to address :-
Protective Clothing; Other products; White Vinegar ; Bird droppings ;Sponges;Micro cloths;Chamois leather;Water; Blow dry ; Wet dry; Wheels ; Tires; Wheel arches; Wind screen wipers; Interior and exterior glass; Mirors; And last but not least Waxing ! all in no particular order.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Todays paint used on cars is now water based and hence softer and more likely to scratch and degrade compared to the old oil based product of years gone by, so I think science has a lot more of an input to protecting and keeping bodywork in tip top condition. Products that react with the paint to keep the shine and newer 'nano' products that also react with the pant surface and create a clear solid barrier against damage etc.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Let us Pick one ::::::::::::: Bird dropings on cars.

All Bird Droping contain acid which in a very short period of time will eat through wax / polish and eventually the paint down to bare metal, if you live by the sea ( Seagulls ) or the City ( Pigeons ) your vehicle becomes a target requiring imediate attension.
Some Crane birds dump concrete.
Droppings left for too long dries and hardens the damage is done ,and becomes more dificult to remove.
Almost guaranteed that almost every time you go out your car will become a target possibly in several places.

Do not scrape the mess off , an on board portable spray bottle is very handy.

A ) You could use a garden water hose to power away the mess, if you are lucky.
Also try :-
B ) Bathroom tissue. water wet or damp.
C ) Bathroom tissue / table napkin with White Vinegar / water 50 /50.
E ) Small squares of wet / damp news paper covering the dry spot.
D ) It would be a good idea to re wax the affected area.

Mazda CX3 soul red.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Good to see you posting again Somers.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019