New Car Smell

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
pjmd3163

Post by pjmd3163 »

Not sure if this has been covered in a previous thread .... but picked up the new car today (Sports Nav Petrol 150PS AWD) and there is a very distinct smell every time I stop! We thought it was the air con to start with but there is no smell while driving (did 100 miles plus already!), but as soon as I stop it smells like melting plastic or electrics. Did an internet search and it has been mentioned that there is a smell with new cars from various shipping lubricants (exhaust or air con). Can't see anything obvious under the bonnet.

Anyone else come across this and how long does it last ..... or do I need to take it back already? Thanks in anticipation.
Sports Nav + Black 150ps Petrol AWD Manual (Oct 2018)

st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new CX-3 purchase. A number of owners have mentioned this initial smell - see this thread for some of the postings :-

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1324&p=8165

In another thread an owner reckoned it lasted for about 150 miles so you should notice it disappearing fairly soon. To find more postings, just type something like car smell or burning smell in the search box at the very top left of this page.

p.s. I'd recommend adding your approximate location to your profile and car specification to your signature. It will help other owners when trying to answer queries you might have with your new car. Check out this post for details :-

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=808
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
pjmd3163

Post by pjmd3163 »

Thank you ... and wilko.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Sooner than later a vehice will loose that new car smell,all it takes is wet shoes on the mats along with 100 other things, including the family pet.
Try lemon pledge on the hard plastic and door jams do not use a micro cloth try disposable paper towels which work well, while you are at it advance to the engine compartment.
How many people clean their stering wheel ? "Germ City".

Somers C X3 Red
pjmd3163

Post by pjmd3163 »

To update this thread, the smell lasted just over a week (400 miles) and was only present when the electronic hand break and auto hold were engaged. Guessing it was around a dozen cycles of these before it cleared. Thanks for the feedback above.
switchback

Post by switchback »

pjmd3163 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 pm To update this thread, the smell lasted just over a week (400 miles) and was only present when the electronic hand break and auto hold were engaged. Guessing it was around a dozen cycles of these before it cleared. Thanks for the feedback above.
I suspect that it has nothing to do with the handbrake and more to do with the fact that you were stopped. Mine was the same.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.