Paint and Rust

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Stewy

Post by Stewy »

Just about to order my second Cx3 and started researching Soul Red paint ..... so many comments about it being soft and difficult to repair all to frequent stone chips ..... I may order another black one . Quite a few paint chips on my bonnet from only 34000 miles but touch up easily enough.

Looking at a lot of commentary from North America and Canada there are many posts citing thin , poor paint finishes applied to new Mazdas and a propensity for Mazdas to be more susceptible to rust than other Japanese manufacturers.
It’s disturbed me a little and I’m wondering what the general feeling out there is ?

I plan on keeping my next car for 5 years and expect to do some 60000 miles over that time ... placing it outside of the initial warranty period.

So ..... is Mazda paint a real problem and is rust a major issues on relatively new Mazdas these days ?

All help appreciated ......
On second CX3 ..... Black CX3 2.0 150 Sport Nav + Auto AWD... loving it ! 😍

TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

I'm just in the process of having a small rust spot on the lip of the boot (near the release catch) sorted under warranty. At the dealership they said that Mazda seem to have been skimping on the paint, they used a camera to read the thickness of the paint, and the boot had a reading of 60 instead of 120 (not sure what unit of measurement is used) so half the thickness as expected. I love the car but I can't deny it has took the shine of a little wondering what state the car will be in in say 3-5 years time.

Mine is in the snowflake white paint, but the dealership said the Soul Red has been the worse to suffer from this problem.
CX-3, Sport Nav, 2.0l, Petrol, 66 plate.
steve67

Post by steve67 »

with the soul red mazda2 i had for 15 months, i found the paint to be thin and chip easy, in fact the first chip appeared on the way home from collecting it from the show room, the red is one of the best colours though... as for the general paint/rust issue, the paint on my eternal blue cx3 is not the best it has lots of orange peel....
One of those annoying cyclist, who happens to also drive a CX3 SPORT NAV IN ETERNAL BLUE on the odd occasion ... The CX3 has been a pleasure to drive but it's time to move on. ...NOW DRIVING A MAZDA CX30 GT SPORT-JAN 2020
Stewy

Post by Stewy »

Many thanks guys .....
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

NAIL VARNISH
I may have addressed this touch up trick in the past.

There are some paint tutorials on" you tube."

Today we can buy any colour nail varnish , they have hundreds of reds and other colors from which you can choose if you fancy your self as a artist ,also take a photo for comparison of your car colour when you go to the shops .

I have used the nail products to touch paint work on cars only as a tempory fix.

I waxed the roof and bonnet today as those pannels take a beating more than the others.

I don't have any stone chips in the paint yet.

CX3 auto soul red
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I chose the solid colour Arctic White, not to save money but because a solid paint is more durable than a metallic and white is one of the strongest paint colours. Red is one of the weakest.

A paint protection treatment was applied before delivery, free of charge to sweeten the deal, and the car is always garaged overnight. No stone chips so far in 2 years and 4 months ownership.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
steve67

Post by steve67 »

zoylander wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am I chose the solid colour Arctic White, not to save money but because a solid paint is more durable than a metallic and white is one of the strongest paint colours. Red is one of the weakest.

A paint protection treatment was applied before delivery, free of charge to sweeten the deal, and the car is always garaged overnight. No stone chips so far in 2 years and 4 months ownership.
thats why we had white on our 2nd mazda2 GT,

at the end of the day, stone chips/ car park dent are a case of bad luck.

Get the colour you like and enjoy

Have the car Detailed and a ceramic coating applied... my son has a Gtechniq coating on his car..

we will not keep our car long term but my son is a keeper with cars and has Seat Ibiza in red, it looks amazing with just a wash.....

IMG_20180610_155744.jpg

One of those annoying cyclist, who happens to also drive a CX3 SPORT NAV IN ETERNAL BLUE on the odd occasion ... The CX3 has been a pleasure to drive but it's time to move on. ...NOW DRIVING A MAZDA CX30 GT SPORT-JAN 2020
Stewy

Post by Stewy »

Thanks again for your help ..... I’ll get another one .... ticks all the boxes .... just can’t decide on colour !
steve67

Post by steve67 »

Stewy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:03 pm Thanks again for your help ..... I’ll get another one .... ticks all the boxes .... just can’t decide on colour !
i May be bias buy Eternal Blue is nice, i haven't seen many around....no chips as yet.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , i hope i have not spoken too soon.... :shock: :shock:

IMG_20180610_151815.jpg

switchback

Post by switchback »

The water based paints used on cars nowadays is not as durable as the solvent based paints. It's not just a Mazda issue. I wonder is the new Soul Red is any better than the old one?
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.