i stop start

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Vincent66

Post by Vincent66 »

In urban or motorway traffic jam situations etc. stop/start must be a good idea (until we can afford electric cars).

It would be nice though if the default could be changed to start disabled for those that don't live in urban areas - is that possible ?

From a safety point of view I think its better that the driver turns it on (having identified the jam)

I guess its a feature in its infancy so we should be patient.
2016 Cx3 2L Petrol Auto

alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Dogfuzz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am I've had lots of useful answers re iStop from this site. It has provided my wife and I with yards of endless conversation over the last few months. "Did Istop work today" "no-but I think it did once" etc etc. Basically--there's nothing wrong with your car. Before you wade through the manual-my findings and experiences are as follows.
1) It won't work if the engine is not properly warmed up
2) It won't work with the fan on
3) It won't work on a cold day
4) It won't work when you have the clutch depressed whilst stationary.
Apart from that--and provided iStop is in a good mood--it will not let you down.
Hmmmm, 2) should be it won't work with the aircon on, it will work with the fan on if 3) doesn't apply which should say: It won't work when the battery charge is below a certain level, this just happens to be more likely on a cold day.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

If there's a significant difference between outside and inside temperature then i-stop will not activate. There are a few more than Dogfuzz has listed.

As I've said before, I don't understand why people want to turn it off though; just leave it on to do it's thing. That said, in my automatic, it didn't take long to learn how much brake pedal pressure is required to bring the car to a halt without activating I-stop, say, at a pedestrian crossing, which is how it's designed to work.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Uhm..................congestion, pollution etc.
In crowded city centres actually sitting at traffic lights is one thing, I-Stop yes! However crawling on congested roads is probably the more common condition and also where polluting output is at it's highest. By the time you had done a few stop starts the the battery/capacitor would be crying out for input from the alternator which would cancel the I-Stop anyway.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.
Brum1955

Post by Brum1955 »

As I understand it the engine restarts by injecting fuel into one of the cylinders, the starter motor is not used. There are details of how this works on numerous web sites.
Just taken delivery of CX3 Sport Nav 2000 petrol manual in Eternal Blue Mica. This replaces my 21 year old Xedos Sport 2 litre V6.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I must say I'm finding some of the comments rather bizarre. Here is a gadget that saves fuel, saves on road tax and reduces pollution and has no adverse effect on the car itself. This has been around long enough now to prove itself and yet some people don't seem happy about it. Very confused as to why that is. I first had it on my Alfa 7 years ago and have never ever considered turning it off.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I've done approximately 42,000 miles and the i-stop has performed very well. It works when the a/c is on but large temperature differences reduce the time it operates before the engine cuts back in. If I know I'm going to be stopped for a few minutes I turn the a/c off and it extend the time. The monitor also tells you when it's ready and if there is anything you have to do to make it cut in, e.g. put the the car in neutral.
I have even had i- stop working before the blue temperature light has gone off. The only thing that seems to stop it cutting in is having the the air system set to demist.
In the last 17 months the car has been in i- stop mode for 22 hours and 56 minutes - nearly a day sat at traffic lights or in queues. That's alot of time idling and polluting the planet if you're not using it. And that's just when it's operating. I think those of you who dismiss it need to look again.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Amazed that HouseSpiders Istop kicked in before the blue temperature light went "off".....wonder if that was in the depth of winter or a hot sunny summer morning?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Vincent66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:31 pm
From a safety point of view I think its better that the driver turns it on (having identified the jam)

I guess its a feature in its infancy so we should be patient.
It's certainly not in it's infancy and I can't see anything unsafe about it the way it is......seems fine to me, leave it alone.
Might be a good idea to remove the switch and then stop the debate altogether.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

It was never a cold day but I remember thinking on one occasion it wasn't particularly hot.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.