Windscreen replacement

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Not that I need one (touches wood - or at least laminate) but what with front facing cameras/sensors/detection systems I would have thought a replacement is outside the remit of (lets say) Autoglass due to it all having to be set up somehow??

Thoughts?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...

santa

Post by santa »

That's why I had my local Mazda dealer replace my broken windshield last year and not a company like Autoglass.
I paid the same anyway, since it was partly covered by my insurance.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Andy, Auto Glass and similar company's can and will change windscreens with cameras, one of the first questions they ask is if it has a camera.
If it does you have to either take it to one of their centres or a,Mazda dealer to be set up after fitting.
I had to have a new screen in my CX3 I let the dealer sort it, but it is not their the technicians that fit it, yes they use a genuine replacement but they outsource it to Auto glass etc, and just do the camera settings.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Sort of what I was thinking - Windscreen company to do the glass and Mazda tec's to set up the fiddly bits.
Thanks for replying guys.
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Last October, Donald's Mazda Stamford phoned to say our 3-year old CX-3 had failed its first MOT. It failed solely due to a chipped windscreen and nothing else. Having driven around with the small chip since the summer, it never bothered us because it was just outside the direct field of vision. With earlier assurances that it wasn't large enough to warrant a failure, the car was booked in. Unbeknown to us, VOSA moved the goal posts in September, so the car failed.

Now, here's the conundrum. For a £50 excess payment, Autoglass would fit and re-calibrate all cameras and sensors, but they needed the car to be driven 18 miles to their nearest workshop in Peterborough. Doing so would be illegal - unless "the vehicle is being driven to a destination for an MOT re-test". Donald's Mazda at Stamford quoted £685 for a new Mazda windscreen and, for professional and legal reasons, could not release our car to be driven to Autoglass.

In the end, we persuaded Autoglass to fit the new windscreen on site at Donald's - and Donald's kindly re-calibrated the cameras and sensors free of charge. A happy end to the story - and the windscreen cost £50.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

So Geejam, something that was legal and safe on one day, was deemed so dreadfully unsafe and illegal to drive the next?!!

*That* is just so damned crazy!
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

So--just to be clear--if you have a windscreen that needs replacing ( and you have insurance) on a Mazda cx3-you
1) Ring Autoglass direct and they sort the lot?
or
2) You ring your insurer and get "diverted" to their repairer(probably Autoglass) and take it from there?
or
3) You clear it with your insurer that you would like your Mazda dealer to sort it?
or
4) Your ring your Mazda dealer first and get the whole jobby done by them--sending "invoice/receipt" to insurer( who might kick up a fuss because you have not used one of your insurers preferred suppliers?)

Whats the best route please?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Dogfuzz wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm … Whats the best route please?
I should think that depends on your insurer and your policy. Have a look at your insurance policy documents or your insurer's website.

Mine says to contact Autoglass directly -
https://help.lv.com/app/answers/detail/ ... m-discount
so in my case, I'd do that initially and only have subsequent conversations with insurers and/or dealer if necessary to get the job done.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Bear this in mind, Autoglass and other windscreen companys will not use genuine replacements, although they will be produced to the same standard maybe in the same factory.

When you ring your insurer if your vehicle is less than 12 Months old you can insist on a genuine Mazda replacement being used.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

DaveG wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm Bear this in mind, Autoglass and other windscreen companys will not use genuine replacements, although they will be produced to the same standard maybe in the same factory.

When you ring your insurer if your vehicle is less than 12 Months old you can insist on a genuine Mazda replacement being used.
Good point, although the genuine glass doesn't seem all that special. I'd be happy with OEM guaranteed for the life of the car ;)

Here's a video that shows the gauges and the target Autoglass wheel out in front of the car at their 'dedicated centres' to calibrate the windscreen mounted sensors.

Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd