LED light bulbs.

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

While I was listening to my local radio station this morning, they started talking about the cost of changing car light bulbs. One chap said that it had recently cost him £500, as you cant change the light bulb on his car. You have to change the whole box unit. Another caller said that it had cost him £200 to change a bulb on the dashboard. This is due, apparently, because the bulbs had been installed in the dashboard before the car had been built, and the car, literally, was built around it!!! I think they were talking about Audi and BMW etc, but just as a matter of interest, how easy is it to change a bulb yourself and how expensive? I couldn't change the halogen bulbs on my last car, a Mazda 6, due to the confined space under the wings, as I don't have the hands of a child!! If I had to get a garage to do it, has anyone any idea of the cost involved? My CX3 has the LED bulbs fitted.
Thanks.
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Led headlights will entail replacing the entire unit I should imagine - annoying really as the idea of led's is cheap to produce and very low current drain meaning low power consumption and theoretically last many years! At least the led's for home use are finally coming down in price (12w replacement for 100w approx around £2 in Morrisons)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

And from that can we assume they will be classed as a consumable item so not covered on the warranty ??
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Turbo wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:52 pm And from that can we assume they will be classed as a consumable item so not covered on the warranty ??
Good question, if they're holed by a stone etc then no, but if they failed within the 3 years I would expect a replacement as there's not much to go wrong (PAH I hear you say! :lol: ) as they're basically a transistor junction/diode???
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

We need a guinea pig to test the water :lol:
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

There is nothing new about inaccessible instrument panel lights.

Years ago my wife ran an elderly Citroen ZX which had two instrument bulbs, one illuminating the speedometer and fuel gauge, the other the rev counter and temperature gauge. Needless to say, it was the speedometer one which failed.
I consulted the Haynes manual. How hard could it be? First remove the steering wheel, then the entire fascia panel......I stopped reading.

Soon afterwards, along came the 2009 Scrappage Scheme and suddenly the ZX was worth £2000. It was PX'd against a new Daihatsu Sirion, the most reliable supermini most people have never heard of. As she drove it away, her last words to the salesman were "Don't let anyone drive that Citroen at night!"
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

zoylander wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm "Don't let anyone drive that Citroen at night!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

zoylander wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm There is nothing new about inaccessible instrument panel lights.
"Don't let anyone drive that Citroen at night!"

Wouldn't drive a Citroen day or night :lol: :lol: