Upgrade Sport Nav Manual to Sport Nav + Auto

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I have only covered 300 miles in my new Sport Nav + Auto, but I thought I should note down a few comparisons between this car and my previous Sport Nav Manual for anybody considering upgrading.

Cabin layout is basically the same apart from the electric handbrake. Although I still prefer the manual handbrake the addition of the auto hold foot brake makes an acceptable combination. I do find it a little annoying that the handbrake won’t disengage unless the seat belt is fastened.
The seats appear to be slightly more padded and more supportive. Definitely more comfortable for me.
The manual dip rear view mirror has been replaced by an auto dip mirror, but annoyingly they have not included an off switch.
The wing mirrors are now auto fold with the option to switch them manually.
Front parking sensors have been included as standard which is good as I have difficulty in judging the length of the bonnet. The alarm isn’t as loud or as sensitive as the previous model.
There is one extra button above the heater controls for the heated steering wheel. That has been used a lot in the short time I’ve owned it.
The new HUD showing the speed limit next to your actual speed is a big bonus. The only problem is that you can't rely on the speed limit being correct. So as long as you also check the road signs it works well. If you just set a visual warning for exceeding the limit, don't be surprised if you don't notice it. A small orange circle flashing around a red circle is hardly noticeable.
There is a noticeable difference between the two when you start driving. Road noise has been reduced to a more acceptable level. The ride has been greatly improved, still firm but not nearly as harsh over bumpy roads. Handling remains good, but steering is not quite so positive. You need to turn the wheel a little more than the old model and it has a slightly heavier feel. This is probably a good thing as I thought the old model was over sensitive.
There is no noticeable difference in performance between the manual and auto, maybe that’s because I have never needed to reach 60 mph in 9 seconds.
The auto gearbox is really smooth and the ratios have been selected well, which makes it really easy to drive. As well as full auto you also have the choice of paddle operated full manual or limited paddle operated change while in drive mode. Having said that it is not a manual gearbox and will not suit everybody. I am fortunate that I have a manual MX-5 to play with when I want a bit of fun.
I found the brakes on the earlier model rather harsh and have always preferred progressive brakes like my MX-5 and my old Alfa 156. I’m not sure whether the brakes have yet to bed in, but I do like the feel of them. They are not as nice as the MX-5 although they are better than the earlier model.
Fuel consumption is not good yet, but I am expecting it to improve as I put on the miles. I would say that it is 5mpg worse than the earlier manual although I think it is unfair to do a comparison yet.
All in all it is an improvement, as would be expected and I’m very happy with the upgrade to a +.
Last edited by Strangways on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Enjoyed your review as I pick up my new Auto Sport Nav + in the next week or so. You mention the brakes I had driven Citroen's for a few years before my CX3, around town the Citroen's brakes are ridiculously sharp and totally non progressve , so to me my Mazda's brakes are superb, not complaining if they have improved them further though. Do you like the factory fitted armrest, over the dealer option if you had it in your previous car, although with the Auto handbrake it would not have been a issue.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:00 pm Enjoyed your review as I pick up my new Auto Sport Nav + in the next week or so. You mention the brakes I had driven Citroen's for a few years before my CX3, around town the Citroen's brakes are ridiculously sharp and totally non progressve , so to me my Mazda's brakes are superb, not complaining if they have improved them further though. Do you like the factory fitted armrest, over the dealer option if you had it in your previous car, although with the Auto handbrake it would not have been a issue.
I didn't have an armrest in the previous car. This one is a little short really. I had one in the Alfa that could slide forward if you wanted extra support.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I don't have an armrest, I have an elbow perch :lol:
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Just a note on the fuel consumption that I mentioned previously. I noticed that the auto box was holding on to the lower gears for a lot longer than needed and certainly longer than required on the manual box. Now that I have got used to the auto I am using the paddles while in drive (D) and changing up (and down) earlier than the auto box does. This has improved the efficiency by about 3 mpg. Do other auto drivers do the same?
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Strangways wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:10 pm Just a note on the fuel consumption that I mentioned previously. I noticed that the auto box was holding on to the lower gears for a lot longer than needed and certainly longer than required on the manual box. Now that I have got used to the auto I am using the paddles while in drive (D) and changing up (and down) earlier than the auto box does. This has improved the efficiency by about 3 mpg. Do other auto drivers do the same?
No, why buy an auto and drive it like a manual?
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Because the Mazda automatic is rather limited. It only has two settings, normal and sport. Other cars have up to five settings, one of which is an economy mode which changes to a higher gear earlier. So if I want to drive economically I have to assist the auto box myself. I'm not complaining, I enjoy having some input. :D
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Instead of using the paddles try just lifting your foot off the gas slightly. That seems to do the trick for me.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

HouseSpider wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:42 pm Instead of using the paddles try just lifting your foot off the gas slightly. That seems to do the trick for me.
Hi HouseSpider, I did try that, but it took a while to react and the car slowed a little. I found by using the paddles the car maintained it's speed. It is very noticeable how the manual would tell me to change up at lower revs than the auto box actually does. To be honest I rather enjoy using the paddles and having some input. :D
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I tend to use the paddles mainly when the cruise control is in operation and the 'box down shifts to bring engine braking into play. I just change back up.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.