How good is the CX3 satnav?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Stedmeister

Post by Stedmeister »

So, bought our 2016 yesterday. Car will be three years old late March so one of the first jobs will be to get the nav updated as I don’t know when the last update was done.

Question is though how good is it generally? We picked the car up in Epsom, Surrey so set the nav for home in Yorkshire Although we were only 4 miles from the M25 the nav seemed to be taking us towards central London (I ignored it as I knew M25 clockwise was the quickest route), but then further along we were just south of Sheffield on the M1 (quickest route to Leeds) but the nav wanted us to go on the M18 which would have taken us about 10 miles east to the A1. This would definitely have been longer and no nav I have ever had has taken me that way.

Is the nav just c**p or has “take me the longest route possible been selected”? .

Can anyone give me suggestions what settings I need?

Many thanks.
2016 Soul Red Sport Nav. Manual petrol.

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Stedmeister wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 pm So, bought our 2016 yesterday. Car will be three years old late March so one of the first jobs will be to get the nav updated as I don’t know when the last update was done...

… Is the nav just c**p or has “take me the longest route possible been selected”? .

Can anyone give me suggestions what settings I need?..

Some people dislike the Mazda sat nav, and operating it can be a bit quirky at times until you get used to how to use it. I've not had any issues with mine.

As for route settings, you can choose from Fast, Short, Economical or Easy (page 72 of the May 2015 Navigation System Owner's Manual) . I've always found 'Easy' to be the best; in a rural location it reduces the number of small roads in the calculated route. In the Road Type settings I have 'Unpaved Roads' turned off (page 83). I also turned off 'Historical Traffic' in the Traffic Settings (page 82).

The map data is updated very infrequently (up to twice a year) and you get free updates for three years after the sat nav is first used, so you need to check for an update and, if available, download it pretty soon before the free period expires. Details of how you do that here: http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/ ... uage=en-EU

The OS (Operating System) version for the MZD-Connect (the infotainment screen in your dashboard) also has a bearing on how the sat nav works. Some versions correct issues (but then sometimes create new ones until they get fixed with a future version!). Ideally, you want to be on version 59.00.545 or later (preferably 70.00.100. To check currently installed version go to 'Settings > System > About' on the MZD-Connect screen). Mazda do not make the OS upgrades publicly available, so it's best to book it into a dealer and get them to do it free of charge whilst the car is still in warranty; it takes about 45 mins.

My free map updates period has ended, so I now use the free Waze sat nav app on my iPhone, which displays on the MZD-Connect screen as I purchased the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto aftermarket accessory.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Congratulations on your purchase. I've just seen jtonline has covered much of what I was composing so I've modified my reply to avoid duplication :)

In my opinion, the Mazda sat-nav has a number of limitations and would not be worth paying extra for it - certainly not at the price Mazda charge for models below the Sport level or for the map update subscription once the initial 3yr period has expired. The main thing going for it is it utilises the full infotainment screen to display the map compared to a stand alone sat-nav unit or a smartphone - although the later now can be linked via an Apple CarPlay or Android Auto upgrade to utilise the infotainment screen display.

There is an online version of the Navigation manual via this Mazda link :-

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/p ... d-manuals/
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 pm The main thing going for it is it utilises the full infotainment screen to display the map compared to a stand alone sat-nav unit or a smartphone - although the later now can be linked via an Apple CarPlay or Android Auto upgrade to utilise the infotainment screen display.
I like the way the Mazda navigation is integrated in the infotainment system.
I bought my car new, so I have the full three years of navigation updates. But I admit that the price for extra subscription years is rather steep.
One of the things I like is the navigation info on the head-up display.
I doubt that Apple CarPlay or Android Auto shows navigation info on the head-up display, but correct me if I am wrong.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Stedmeister

Post by Stedmeister »

Thanks all. Just updating the satnav SD card at the moment so will look at the options as well described by jtonline.

According to the Mazda toolbox there is insufficient storage space on the SD card but hopefully I am not the first one to encounter this and there will be a topic on the forum. Otherwise I might be back with another question!
steve67

Post by steve67 »

Like all sat navs. .only as good as the person setting it up and inputting the information..😂🤣😂
One of those annoying cyclist, who happens to also drive a CX3 SPORT NAV IN ETERNAL BLUE on the odd occasion ... The CX3 has been a pleasure to drive but it's time to move on. ...NOW DRIVING A MAZDA CX30 GT SPORT-JAN 2020
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Stedmeister wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am Thanks all. Just updating the satnav SD card at the moment so will look at the options as well described by jtonline.

According to the Mazda toolbox there is insufficient storage space on the SD card but hopefully I am not the first one to encounter this and there will be a topic on the forum. Otherwise I might be back with another question!
Check out my post on this thread :-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1745&start=20
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Talking about which route selection is best, don't forget you can check the itinerary which will show you your chosen route road by road.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Stedmeister

Post by Stedmeister »

Update worked okay and have now adjusted the nav settings as per previous suggestions. Will book car into dealers though as the OS is on version 56.00.230 so way out of date. On a separate topic Mazda have no records of any servicing done on the car (which is a bit of a worry). Anyone know likely cost of the service (assuming it doesn’t need anything above and beyond normal) as I cannot see on Mazdas website that they have fixed cost servicing.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Stedmeister wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm ...Mazda have no records of any servicing done on the car (which is a bit of a worry). Anyone know likely cost of the service (assuming it doesn’t need anything above and beyond normal) as I cannot see on Mazdas website that they have fixed cost servicing.
Hopefully the car has had services done outside the dealer network and they just haven't bothered to get the details of each service registered on the Mazda Digital Service Record https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/maintaining/dsr/

Service should be carried out every twelve months or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first). With no certainty that servicing has been kept up to date, I would be looking at getting an oil & filter change with Mazda spec. oil, a brake fluid change, and possibly an air filter change in addition to all the usual visual inspections. Details of what gets replaced and inspected at each service interval are in the back of your Owner's Manual.

Some members here took out Service Plans, which give fixed price servicing. I travelled to JCT600 in Lower Wortley to buy their ex demonstrator and didn't purchase a service plan; I've had my servicing carried out by my local Mazda dealer and have paid £151.11, £279.04 and £273.58 if that's any help. Prices will vary across the country and model range of course.

I would also check the safety recall database http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp and see if there are any outstanding recall jobs on your car https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd