120BHP engine

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
WayneE

Post by WayneE »

Hi All.

My apologies for posting a similar message on the off chat.

Just a question as I am picking up my new CX-3 next week ....

What do owners think of the 120BHP manual gearbox engine....

Any struggles up hills ?

Quickish ?

Any flaws ?

Thank you

Kind regards
CX-3 Sport -Nav , Snowflake white, 120 BHP.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

It is not a hot hatch and you can always find a car that is a bit quicker. However it is a 2 litre engine which is bigger than most small SUVs. The 2 litre engine takes hills in it's stride and is more than adequate. The Mazda engines love to be revved and the car handles a dream, so you can have fun when you want to do some 'spirited' driving. Don't worry, you will love it.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
WayneE

Post by WayneE »

Hi Strangeways

Thank you for the reply, you have put me at ease now lol.

I have test driven a CX-3 but no hills around here really and I was only on the M40 for about 2 miles , so I could not really give a fair judgement.

But I love the car however , you do not seem to see many CX-3s on the road , I may be wrong ?.

Thanks
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

No, there's not many about.... but now you've got one you'll come to notice the others more 😁 I came from a golf Gtd and don't really notice *too* much difference.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
WayneE

Post by WayneE »

Hi Andy Ren,

You must be psychic, I am trading in my Golf GTD.

Its too low for my bad back !!!!

Regards
Mrbluesky

Post by Mrbluesky »

I also traded in a Golf, mine was a 1.4 TSI turbo petrol which ran smoothly and loved to rev but lacked torque, supposed to have similar power to the CX-3. The 2ltr CX-3 is great, not as smooth also likes to rev and power is always available where the Golf would be off song sometimes but that's a turbo thing. The Mazda is a firmer ride which is an issue at times especially as I often use a particularly rough concrete road near where I live, but other than that the handling is much better than the Golf. I love the way my CX-3 drives after using it for 20,000 miles.

Richard
CX-3 2016 Dynamic Blue Sport Nav 2.0 petrol manual with half Stone Leather.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Mrbluesky, Wayne and myself have come from the Gtd with its harsher and slightly lowered suspension compared to the standard Golf so the CX-3 has a very similar ride to what we're used to.
Last edited by AndyRen on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

I'm currently choosing a new CX3 and thought it prudent to five the Mazda 3 range a look over; so had a test drive in one yesterday.

I was given the impression from the very young salesman that the car i was driving was a new 2019 Mazda 3 with 165 HP engine. I noticed it was under-powered compared to my current 150 HP CX3 and commented. It then transpired there had been a communication error; it was only 120 HP.

I noticed a distinct lack of pulling power in 6 at low engines revs. I went from 3 to 6 across the box accelerating away from a roundabout and the car struggled both in 6 and then 5. I think my present CX3 would have coped.

If you are not aggressive on acceleration and use all the gears a 120 will be fine.

On a side note: the 2019 Mazda CX3 still has crappy central heating controls whereas the Mazda 3 has digital readout settings and twin zones controls -passenger/driver. I Have grown used to the CX3's height and the lack of AWD in the Mazda 3 range tipped the balance.

Neither 2019 models yet have Android Auto as standard!! What is Mazda playing at?
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I don't think the new 3 is in the showrooms yet, I was chatting to the salesman in my dealership two weeks ago he said they can't get their hands,on one till the spring. It may have been a 2019 model you test drove but not the one with the latest engine .
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
switchback

Post by switchback »

Boyle de Cabbage wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:38 am
On a side note: the 2019 Mazda CX3 still has crappy central heating controls whereas the Mazda 3 has digital readout settings and twin zones controls -passenger/driver.
I much prefer the knob controls. I've found them easier to use without having to take your eyes off the road to press the buttons and see what the digital display reads.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.