CX3 Torsion-Beam Rear Suspension or multilink

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Strangways wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:13 pm
fourbanks wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:44 pm
Strangways wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:19 pm

So what is it that you don't like?
Is it the firm ride? It handles beautifully so it can't be that.
I haven't said I didn't like it' I was just surprised to find out it had torsion beam which is only used on cheap cars to save costs. my cx3 drives very well and am very pleased with it but the corolla is a little better with the bumps in the roads with the double wishbone
that's all I was implying. my car for value is excellent and the equivalent spec for the corolla is £30'000 some £7000 pounds difference and as I only paid £19'000 I have done very well I think.
however if you wont a Manual in the basic form of the corolla 1.2 turbo at £21'000 then the Mazda might struggle at the same price point
Hi fourbanks, As I understand it the Corolla is only going to be a Hybrid, so you can't really compare with the CX-3. I do accept that Double Wishbone is generally used on more expensive cars, but torsion beam is a cheaper method used by most manufacturers, not just cheap cars as you stated. I think a lot depends on the car and its usage as to whether it is the right choice. I'm glad you are enjoying your CX-3.
The corolla is available at the high end price points without the hybrid option. I just hope the new Mazda 3 when its released is as good as mine and that the public can get to choose what extras they would like unlike mine Bose sound or leather you cant have both :shock:
you need to take a different model if you wont both
Last edited by fourbanks on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I didn't realise they were making a non hybrid version, but it's still not an SUV is it? I think you need to compare it with the Mazda 3
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Strangways wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 pm I didn't realise they were making a non hybrid version, but it's still not an SUV is it? I think you need to compare it with the Mazda 3
very true but for most people like myself it may not matter. I would have been just as happy with the Mazda 3 I'm sure coming from the Mitsubishi franchise for the past 20 years. perfect customer service from the dealer but a load of rubbish cars
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

has anyone tried the Citroën suspension ? I tried back in 1974 the Austin princess which was a gas liquid suspension all round. it was very good but a pain after a few years with having to keep topping it up each week

the new Citroën suspension is probably the best on the market today as the company has always had a reputation for cabin comfort. it's very odd though only a top few cars use it like rolls Royce?

I would have thought that Mazda would use it for cabin comfort to be able to deal with the roads today across the world and not just think of japan and the nice roads they have.
maybe I'm missing something here ?

fiddling around with the cheaper torsion beam seams to a bit old hat today' when we really need to get rid of the engineering of the past 70 years and move forward with something up to date?
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I don't think Citroen suspension would fit in with the the Mazda design philosophy of Jinba Ittai. It is that design philosophy that makes Mazda such a great car to drive.

WHAT CARS COMMENTS ON THE CITROEN SUSPENSION
Citroën has gone soft with the C3, giving its wheels plenty of room to move in the wheel arches and making the suspension squidgy. As a result you’d expect it to be pretty compliant, which it is. It lollops over general bumps like a Silver Cross perambulator, but just as baby will know, that’s not as comfortable as it sounds.

Because the body control is so loose, it’s always moving around, even over small undulations. It’s the same story over sleeping policemen, with the suspension absorbing the initial bump well, but subsequently letting the car slam back down in an uncontrolled and uncomfortable way. And all that’s before you’ve even entered a corner, where you and your passengers will be swayed about by the extensive body lean.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Strangways wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:59 am I don't think Citroen suspension would fit in with the the Mazda design philosophy of Jinba Ittai. It is that design philosophy that makes Mazda such a great car to drive.

WHAT CARS COMMENTS ON THE CITROEN SUSPENSION
Citroën has gone soft with the C3, giving its wheels plenty of room to move in the wheel arches and making the suspension squidgy. As a result you’d expect it to be pretty compliant, which it is. It lollops over general bumps like a Silver Cross perambulator, but just as baby will know, that’s not as comfortable as it sounds.

Because the body control is so loose, it’s always moving around, even over small undulations. It’s the same story over sleeping policemen, with the suspension absorbing the initial bump well, but subsequently letting the car slam back down in an uncontrolled and uncomfortable way. And all that’s before you’ve even entered a corner, where you and your passengers will be swayed about by the extensive body lean.
thanks for that explanation :)
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

fourbanks wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:24 pm we really need to get rid of the engineering of the past 70 years and move forward with something up to date?
Like the internal combustion engine... ;)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

AndyRen wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:31 pm
fourbanks wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:24 pm we really need to get rid of the engineering of the past 70 years and move forward with something up to date?
Like the internal combustion engine... ;)
:lol: :D