Extended Warranty - when did Mazda contact you?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

i stick the £350 in the piggy bank...I can't think of many problems that could cost more than that on a 4-5 year old car.

The list of exclusions on most warranties mean you have very little cover

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Greenman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am i stick the £350 in the piggy bank...I can't think of many problems that could cost more than that on a 4-5 year old car.
Your kidding right?? If it's £700 for the maps SD card I shudder to think what ... say..... the i-eloop capacitor/DC-DC converter/alternator would cost to replace! :shock:
But insurance is a rip off in all areas.... Until you come to need it!

I was at my dealers today and I asked about the extended warranty, they tell me Mazda have taken the responsibility from them for contacting (and supplying) the extended warranty - it's all done via Mazda UK now and everyone at the end of their warranty will (should!) get an email/letter with details a couple of weeks before the first MOT is due.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Alternators are c£220

Mazda's online quote for my CX3 is £520 - you make your choice and I'll make mine.

Re the exclusions (below)...what is covered??

What Is Not Covered?
• Normal service replacement items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement:
• Air cleaners
• Auxiliary belts
• Bonnet, boot and fuel flap release cables
• Core plugs
• Diesel glow plugs
• Diesel particulate filters DPF
• Distributor caps
• Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters
• Engine mountings, gearbox mountings, axle and drive line mountings
• Fuel filters
• Handbrake cables
• Oil filters and gaskets
• Pollen/odour filters
• Re-programming/software updates, unless required as part of a replacement part repair
• Rotor arms
• Spark plugs
• Sunroof cables, convertible roof material and straps
• Tyres
• Wheels
• All hinges
• Paint
• All bodywork, glass (including heated), seals and sealants (including but not limited to water ingress), mirrors (except in the case
where they suffer an electrical or mechanical failure), channels and guides, locks, handles, check straps and cosmetic items.
• Wear and perishable items as follows:
• All adjustments, timing or cleaning
• Batteries
• Brake discs, drums and frictional material
• Bulbs and fuses
• Clutch pressure plates, bearings and frictional material
• Pipes and hoses
• Exhaust systems (although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure only)
• Non-Mazda original parts that are not of a matching quality to Mazda original parts
• Upholstery, interior and exterior trims
• Wiper blades, arms and washer jets
• Wiring and connections (including HT leads and aerial coaxial cables).
• Any part of a Satellite Navigation system
• Any failure attributable to the effects of overheating is not regarded as an electrical or mechanical failure under the terms of this
insurance.
• Fixings and fastenings: nuts/bolts/brackets/studs/clips and springs (other than suspension springs) and lamp units.
• General oil leaks (except where the removal of the engine or gearbox is necessary in order to rectify the oil leak).
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Greenman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 am Alternators are c£220

Mazda's online quote for my CX3 is £520 - you make your choice and I'll make mine.

Re the exclusions (below)...what is covered??

What Is Not Covered?
• Normal service replacement items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement:
• Air cleaners
• Auxiliary belts
• Bonnet, boot and fuel flap release cables
• Core plugs
• Diesel glow plugs
• Diesel particulate filters DPF
• Distributor caps
• Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters
• Engine mountings, gearbox mountings, axle and drive line mountings
• Fuel filters
• Handbrake cables
• Oil filters and gaskets
• Pollen/odour filters
• Re-programming/software updates, unless required as part of a replacement part repair
• Rotor arms
• Spark plugs
• Sunroof cables, convertible roof material and straps
• Tyres
• Wheels
• All hinges
• Paint
• All bodywork, glass (including heated), seals and sealants (including but not limited to water ingress), mirrors (except in the case
where they suffer an electrical or mechanical failure), channels and guides, locks, handles, check straps and cosmetic items.
• Wear and perishable items as follows:
• All adjustments, timing or cleaning
• Batteries
• Brake discs, drums and frictional material
• Bulbs and fuses
• Clutch pressure plates, bearings and frictional material
• Pipes and hoses
• Exhaust systems (although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure only)
• Non-Mazda original parts that are not of a matching quality to Mazda original parts
• Upholstery, interior and exterior trims
• Wiper blades, arms and washer jets
• Wiring and connections (including HT leads and aerial coaxial cables).
• Any part of a Satellite Navigation system
• Any failure attributable to the effects of overheating is not regarded as an electrical or mechanical failure under the terms of this
insurance.
• Fixings and fastenings: nuts/bolts/brackets/studs/clips and springs (other than suspension springs) and lamp units.
• General oil leaks (except where the removal of the engine or gearbox is necessary in order to rectify the oil leak).
the reality is that the warranty is only to cover the gearbox and engine as they cost many thousands to replace at around £7000 each including fitting and vat
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Greenman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am i stick the £350 in the piggy bank...I can't think of many problems that could cost more than that on a 4-5 year old car.

The list of exclusions on most warranties mean you have very little cover
very true :)
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

as I said before my last car had nothing go wrong in 7 years and if it had not been for such poor bodywork of chips then I would have kept it. the new owner has been driving it for the past 2 years also with no faults and doesn't worry about the chips
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

NB: All 3 levels of cover - Complete, Elite and Essential - do not cover any injury, failure, loss or damage caused by a number of general exclusions shown on pages 26-28 of the Warranty Booklet https://www.mazdaextended.co.uk/PDF/5080MAZ%200518.pdf

Amongst those is this one :-

11. Any component which is either subject to recall by Mazda, manufacturing defect or inherent design faults.

I did check with AWP Assistance UK Ltd, who provide the warranty insurance on behalf of Mazda Warranty Services, and they confirmed this particular exclusion would include areas such as the air conditioning system failures which we know have been caused by a mixture of manufacturing defect / inherent design fault.

So if problems with the air con happen during the extended warranty period, it would be up to the goodwill of Mazda UK to cover any repairs due to the known problems with the faulty evaporator / condenser / control unit rather than the extended warranty cover. One can only hope that if such problems haven't shown up in the first 3 years of the car's life, or have been fixed, then they won't occur again for the same reason during the extended warranty period. Just bear that in mind.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I can think of a number of parts on my CX-3 that will cost more than £258 to replace that would be covered by extended warranty. As the vehicle gets older I consider them more likely to fail not less likely. A door mirror assembly is something like £600 just for the part (one has already been replaced under 3 yr warranty), a new swivelly headlight is something like £800, then there are the really expensive bits like the turbo. It will also cover any damage to parts caused by the failure of another covered part.

As already mentioned, insurance is costly if you never have to use it. Not everyone considers extended warranty worthwhile, but I made the decision to buy it.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I certainly wasn't questioning whether to buy or not buy an extended warranty - that's up to the individual - I was merely suggesting that £350 would not go far towards curing many problems on a 4-5 year old (and beyond) car!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

AndyRen wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm I certainly wasn't questioning whether to buy or not buy an extended warranty - that's up to the individual - I was merely suggesting that £350 would not go far towards curing many problems on a 4-5 year old (and beyond) car!
I think we're in agreement :)
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd