PETROL

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

since taking delivery of my car I've had to use octane 99 as theirs always a que at the other pumps. what's the difference anyhow it must surely be a scam ?
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

switchback

Post by switchback »

I tried it a few years ago and I got better fuel consumption. When it was around 6p per litre more expensive it made economic sense to use it but now it seems to be between 10 and 12 ppl which is ridiculous so I'd rather sit in a queue for a few minutes rather than be ripped-off by a fuel company.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

interesting
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

switchback wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm I tried it a few years ago and I got better fuel consumption. When it was around 6p per litre more expensive it made economic sense to use it but now it seems to be between 10 and 12 ppl which is ridiculous so I'd rather sit in a queue for a few minutes rather than be ripped-off by a fuel company.
oh well I will just have to stick with the 99. I don't do much driving anyhow and at least I don't have to que :D i just hope it's greener this shell v power
the car likes it that's for sure 'and the drive very smooth. time will tell i guess if there is a gain in a cleaner engine
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I have tried both 94 and 99 octane in both my cars and to be perfectly honest it was impossible to say if it made any difference. I think the only way to find out would be on a rolling road. What I do know is that cyclists increase my fuel consumption by around 20%. I did exactly the same 80 mile round trip two days running. On the Sunday when cyclists are out and about my average was 42 mpg. On the Monday when I only encountered one cyclist my fuel consumption increased to 52 mpg. So I would suggest banning cyclists to improve pollution and efficiency :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

switchback wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm I tried it a few years ago and I got better fuel consumption. When it was around 6p per litre more expensive it made economic sense to use it but now it seems to be between 10 and 12 ppl which is ridiculous so I'd rather sit in a queue for a few minutes rather than be ripped-off by a fuel company.
Why do you state it is a rip off?

It is a premium product at a premium price - we dont all like Tesco own brand baked beans.

Yes, they make more profit on it but we ALL benefit from that...
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Strangways wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:15 pm I have tried both 94 and 99 octane in both my cars and to be perfectly honest it was impossible to say if it made any difference. I think the only way to find out would be on a rolling road. What I do know is that cyclists increase my fuel consumption by around 20%. I did exactly the same 80 mile round trip two days running. On the Sunday when cyclists are out and about my average was 42 mpg. On the Monday when I only encountered one cyclist my fuel consumption increased to 52 mpg. So I would suggest banning cyclists to improve pollution and efficiency :lol:
:lol:
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I ride a 800cc Triumph 3 cylinder and I have in the past, as a test, I have filled it with Shell 99 octane fuel. With the power to weight ratio on a bike I know I would feel any increase of power if it was evident, but I haven't.
Interestingly I feel an increase of power just before it rains, so small increases of power are very noticeable, but not so with fuel
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
santa

Post by santa »

I've tried Shell V-power (99 octane) a few times.
It gave the car noticable better pulling power, not like "WOW" but still noticable.
However it wasn't worth the extra price.
Another competitor is introducing 100 octane this year, at a slightly cheaper price than Shell (who'll be boosting their V-power from 99 to 100 octane), so I'll be trying that when it comes to my town during the summer.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.