Mazda Connect without navi?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Elmo2016

Post by Elmo2016 »

Hi,

We just bought a CX-3 TS+ with the Mazda Connect system, but no navigation.

The dealer charges €700 for the navigation. Can I not just buy a SD card on eBay for €40 with 2019 Maps?

Or is it not just that simple?

Either way, Apple CarPlay will be installed too. Lot cheaper...

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

The SD card is only the map - you need the software and GPS anntenna..

I think dealers would be wise to trying to charge £700 if it was as simple as a £50 Fake SD card (which incidentally may well brick your system)
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The SD Card should be all you'll need. It needs to be one that has not been used in a car before, because after 100km the card is locked to the VIN of the car it's installed in.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Jroper

Post by Jroper »

Jtonline is correct, the hardware is all ready installed in the car, you just need the card. You can buy them on Amazon and Ebay for as little as a $100. Just be sure to get a card for your location and read the reviews on the seller.
2017 CX-3 Sport, Auto, AWD
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

In addition to jtonline and jroper's comments, as long as there hasn't been a card used in the system before then you can just get a new SD card from eBay or similar and slot it in. Reason I say that is I've seen an eBay seller advertising the new SD card they sell with the proviso "PROVIDING YOUR CARS VIN NUMBER HAS NOT ALREADY USED THE FREE 3 YEARS PREVIOUSLY". Sounds logical that Mazda have inbuilt some kind of protection otherwise an owner could just buy another cheap SD card every 3 years giving them a further 3 years of map updates.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Elmo2016

Post by Elmo2016 »

just ordered one which looks reliable and can be returned.

We’ll see next week if it works, keep you informed.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Am I imagining it, but when updating the SD maps in Mazda Toolbox and now having to choose which map to install (Europe or Russia IIRC) isn't there an option of 'Please insert/install/use a lager capacity card????

If so, where does one get a suitable larger card??? Mazda themselves??
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

AndyRen wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 am Am I imagining it, but when updating the SD maps in Mazda Toolbox and now having to choose which map to install (Europe or Russia IIRC) isn't there an option of 'Please insert/install/use a lager capacity card????

If so, where does one get a suitable larger card??? Mazda themselves??
It did ask that question back in 2018 about Europe or Russia to get round apparent problems due to the size of the 8GB SD card. However I'm sure the last update in Feb didn't have that option or size problem so I guess Mazda had done something to sort out space problems.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Elmo2016

Post by Elmo2016 »

Just picked up our CX-3 at the dealer, really happy!

Drove home, inserted the SD card and it works direct!
no problem at all!

72192B41-2E98-4721-8755-F50E381715C7.jpeg