Mobile Phone Mount

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Idavies999

Post by Idavies999 »

I'm after a decent mobile phone mount for my CX-3, I know there's lots of choice out there but I was wondering if any of you guys had any recommendation.

Thanks in advance
03/17 CX-3 Sport Nav, Deep Crystal Blue, 2.0 Petrol, Manual

Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Never needed one as i either leave it in my pocket or in the centre drinks holder...i can make calls listen to Spotify and have texts read to me all via the excellent Mazda MZD connect.

Mark
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I don't need one as my phone stays in my pocket. I don't need the distraction of calls or texts.

But if you must have one, I have been told the Brodit Proclips are quite good
Idavies999

Post by Idavies999 »

Its so I can use it as a SAT NAV, I'm not paying for Mazda Connect to get traffic updates when I can use WAZE for free which is excellent.
03/17 CX-3 Sport Nav, Deep Crystal Blue, 2.0 Petrol, Manual
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

Idavies999 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:26 am Its so I can use it as a SAT NAV, I'm not paying for Mazda Connect to get traffic updates when I can use WAZE for free which is excellent.
It really is no ones business why you need a phone mount and you shouldn't feed the trolls. I've always had a problem with saloon-bar-Johnies; despite achieving great age I can't understand the need to give an antithesis in answer to a legitimate question. What people 'don't' do is of no interest to me.

So, to answer the question: Brodit are the Rolls Royce of phone mounts. You buy a 'clip' that fits to the car, specifically for a model. You buy a mount that fits to the phone specifically for the phone. Or there is a generic phone mount if you wish. Some mounts are 'passive' i.e. no built in connector; some are 'active' and have the cable connection placed such that as the phone is slid into the holder it automatically seats and connects.

The Brodit clip fits without damaging any trim. (At least if you do not use the supplied sticky.) It is fully stable. There is no wobble. There are no limpet clamps to come unstuck; it just works

Though, for a couple of bits of plastic they are expensive; be warned.

I have one; like you I needed my phone for GPS and I also use it for Google Music playback using Android Auto. The advantage of the mount position is that the phone gets cooled by the air vent, so for GPS use that is helpful.

https://www.brodit-shop.de/home.php in German - but this is the manufacturer
https://www.brodit.co.uk UK re-seller
Last edited by Boyle de Cabbage on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

well I don't regards WAZE as free - Google knows enough about me with my giving them my real time location and activities.

It is illegal to use a hand held device on the move, so you can't reprogramme WAZE without stopping the car, switching off the engine and removing the key. but hey who is bothered with motoring law these days.

And last time I checked, it didn't offer the following:

Does it:
- have its own preset PoIs, such as fuel stations by brand or car parking
- can you add your own Pois?
- can you set multiple favourites?
- can you import contact details from a phone to set as a destination?
- can you choose different route optimisation settings (fastest, shortest, most economical, avoid toll roads etc)

Of course it may well be updated and have those functions built in...

The traffic rerouting logic is inherently flawed, as the more people that use it, the more traffic is redirected, which merely relocates the jam....

Oh and if you search online, you can buy a SD map card for c£40, install it and you have built in sat nav
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

idavies999, I agree with Boyle de Cabbage that the Brodit ProClip mounting platform and holder system is very good, I had one in my last car.

(I bought the official Mazda Apple CarPlay kit for my current car, so I could use Waze on the MZD-Connect screen, and then I just rest my phone horizontally above the usb ports).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Greenman, this topic is not about the merits or demerits of Waze or any other sat nav, it's about recommendations for phone mounts.
The OP has a Sport Nav CX-3.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

erg ok - but if the OP has SAT NAV, and wants to use an alternate, then surely it is about the benefits of WAZE or any other sat nav??

Knowing he wants a mount to use his phone for satnav purposes will influence the type and position of mount to recommend...

never mind...im off out for the afternoon..
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

:roll: I think I need one of these mounts so I can keep my phone cool - it's getting quite warm in here with all the bickering.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.