Dealers disabling Mazda keyless system free of charge

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Interesting article in this week's Auto Express, asking what are brands doing to deal with keyless car crime. Regarding Mazda :-

The new Mazda 3's key can be switched off. This feature is expected to be available on new Mazdas "going forward". Dealers can disable keyless systems on other Mazdas free of charge. Retrofit fixes could be "available in the future", the brand said.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016

clawhn

Post by clawhn »

Rather than disable the system FOC, Mazda should upgrade the key fob to enable it to be switched off FOC.
2018 Mazda CX3 Sport Nav+ Petrol Manual Eternal Blue. Detachable tow bar. Blaenavon, South Wales.
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

clawhn wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 pm Rather than disable the system FOC, Mazda should upgrade the key fob to enable it to be switched off FOC.
In my opinion, the best upgrade is a motion sensor in a new key fob.
Making the key fob inactive when it is not moved for a minute or so.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

hsdejong wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:07 am
clawhn wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 pm Rather than disable the system FOC, Mazda should upgrade the key fob to enable it to be switched off FOC.
In my opinion, the best upgrade is a motion sensor in a new key fob.
That's what a lot of car companies are doing as it is the best solution until the car thiefs find a way of waking it up.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I've been saying that dealers can switch off keyless entry for ages, it's in the Owner's Manual. It does mean you'd have to start the car as though the fob battery was dead though.

I agree that a motion sensor in the key fob is a clever solution, as you'd keep the convenience of keyless entry.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

MJC1216 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:32 am
hsdejong wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:07 am In my opinion, the best upgrade is a motion sensor in a new key fob.
That's what a lot of car companies are doing as it is the best solution until the car thiefs find a way of waking it up.
If they have all the time, they can wait for a strong earthquake... ;-)
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

jtonline wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 am I've been saying that dealers can switch off keyless entry for ages, it's in the Owner's Manual. It does mean you'd have to start the car as though the fob battery was dead though.

I agree that a motion sensor in the key fob is a clever solution, as you'd keep the convenience of keyless entry.
I must have missed that in the Owenr's Manual :( Not being able to start the engine by just simply pressing the Start/Stop button sounds a damn nuisance. Doesn't seem a good solution in the circumstances when the engine stalled on a manual car and you were left fumbling for the car key to start whilst in a dangerous road position. Motion sensor method sounds the far more flexible and best solution. Failing that, just enabling the keyless door unlock/lock function to be disabled whilst retaining the keyless start capability would be a better method than Mazda currently offer as a dealer option.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016