Steering Column Gearshift Paddles - Mysterious Legend

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Moz278

Post by Moz278 »

My wife has a late 2018 registered Sport Nav+ Auto. Basically the latest 2019 model.
I haven’t driven it very often, however the other day while waiting for her in a car park, I noticed on the right hand gear shift paddle (the one just behind the steering wheel) the legend +/OFF

Obviously I know the significance of the + , (and the equivalent - , on the left hand paddle), but does anyone know what the “OFF” does? I can’t find any reference to it, in the handbook.

I’ve tried pulling it, with the box in normal auto mode, and with for example the cruise control on and various other options that could possibly be turned off by pulling it. But to no avail.
For example, on my BMW, pulling the right hand paddle will restart the engine if it’s in auto stop mode (I discovered that by accident too - why don’t manufacturers tell you these little secrets in their manuals?)

Thanks in advance, if you know the answer.
John

C91FB4C3-754F-4BEB-A346-3B28D0A2F478.jpeg

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I don't use the steering shift switches, but, I believe the OFF is referring to turning off Manual shift mode and returning to Automatic shift mode by pulling that switch rearward for a sufficient amount of time.
See note on page 4-53 and page 4-57 of the latest Owner's Manual which is available from the Mazda UK website.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Moz278

Post by Moz278 »

Thanks for your reply, but your suggestion doesn't work.
The lever only pulls forward, no option to pull (push?) rearward.
And anyway how would pulling/pushing the column paddle, make the main gearshift lever return to normal auto mode? Theres a significant "clunk" when you slide it sideways to the right from the D position.

And I could not find the manual online and hence those suggested pages. All I got on Mazda UK site was various "scenarios" e.g. When Driving. Even though I clicked on the Get Manual option. But thanks for trying to help, I know you're a bit of a guru on these matters, because I've seen your blog.
BWJ

Post by BWJ »

Moz278 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:44 pm Thanks for your reply, but your suggestion doesn't work.
The lever only pulls forward, no option to pull (push?) rearward.
And anyway how would pulling/pushing the column paddle, make the main gearshift lever return to normal auto mode? Theres a significant "clunk" when you slide it sideways to the right from the D position.

And I could not find the manual online and hence those suggested pages. All I got on Mazda UK site was various "scenarios" e.g. When Driving. Even though I clicked on the Get Manual option. But thanks for trying to help, I know you're a bit of a guru on these matters, because I've seen your blog.
When you shift +/- in manual, you go back to aut. if you hold paddle for about 2 sek. instead of just a short touch for up-shift, this is only with the lever i aut. (D) mode, it has no effect in manual mode.
CX3 2.0, Aut. Nav. Optimum SRC. dec. 2019.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Yes, so I am correct then.
'Rearwards' in this context means towards the rear of the car.
Manual shift mode is invoked by using the paddles and turns off by holding the 'off' paddle.
You may already have the full manual in your possession, but if not, go to the UK website, click on Owners, click on Videos and Manuals, scroll down and choose Mazda CX-3 and From 02/2018 from the drop-down lists, then click the Submit button. Then select Manuals from the drop-down list and click on Owner's Manual (8GT4).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Moz278

Post by Moz278 »

Many thanks. Got it. Although why you’d want to run in Direct Mode, beats me. In fact I’m not even sure what it is. On other cars, I’ve only ever been used to auto with the option to select a particular gear (e.g. for use on steep hills) and the “manual” option where you decide when to change gear with the shifter or paddles. In the old days often called something like Geartronic.
But finding the online manual is brilliant. Better than the bits of paper they call a manual supplied with the car.
:D
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Here is an extract of pages 4-53 to 4-57 mentioned above

Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

jtonline wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:44 pm Yes, so I am correct then.
'Rearwards' in this context means towards the rear of the car.
Manual shift mode is invoked by using the paddles and turns off by holding the 'off' paddle.
You may already have the full manual in your possession, but if not, go to the UK website, click on Owners, click on Videos and Manuals, scroll down and choose Mazda CX-3 and From 02/2018 from the drop-down lists, then click the Submit button. Then select Manuals from the drop-down list and click on Owner's Manual (8GT4).
Yes you are correct as always JT :D
While in 'D' (full auto) if you pull on the switch it changes up a gear (providing you are travelling fast enough). You are now in 'D/M' mode. If you want to come out of 'D/M' mode before it decides to do it itself, you switch 'D/M' off by holding the paddle up for a couple of seconds. I use it a lot as it reduces fuel consumption and gains me 2+ mpg. Not a lot I know, but every little bit helps.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Moz278

Post by Moz278 »

Thanks Strangways, your description is far better than the official version.
santa

Post by santa »

Moz278 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:19 pm Many thanks. Got it. Although why you’d want to run in Direct Mode, beats me. In fact I’m not even sure what it is. On other cars, I’ve only ever been used to auto with the option to select a particular gear (e.g. for use on steep hills) and the “manual” option where you decide when to change gear with the shifter or paddles. In the old days often called something like Geartronic.
But finding the online manual is brilliant. Better than the bits of paper they call a manual supplied with the car.
:D
I usually only use Direct Mode, when I want to overtake a slower vehicle but are stuck behind it.
Then I just flick the - paddle a few times to downshift and overtake and then either let it return to full auto by it self or turn Direct Mode off by pulling the + paddle for a few seconds.
Sometimes I also use it to choose a higher gear my self if full auto is to slow.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.