Hill assist v EPB

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Neil.H

Post by Neil.H »

Never had a car with hill assist and was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of using hill assist as opposed to using the EPB on a hill and just putting your foot on the throttle to move off.Car is manual and there are lots of hills around here where you can get stuck in traffic but as yet I haven't tried either. Cheers
2019 2.0 Sport Nav + AWD Machine Grey Metallic

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I have an auto so it is really easy for me. I have never had a need to touch the EPB since I bought the car. If the manual has a hold button behind the EPB then I would have thought your best option is to use that.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
santa

Post by santa »

I had hill holder in my previous a car (a Fiat but it should work the same).
What it does is hold the brakes if the hill has an incline above a certain level, so you don't have to apply the handbrake (obviously if your parking you should apply the handbrake).
When you move your foot from the brake to the clutch, the system holds the brakes for about 1,5-2 seconds berfore relasing. This gives you time to find the biting point and move of. If you move of before the 1.5-2 seconds it will also release the brake.
I'm pretty sure it can't be turned off (and I'm not sure shy you would anyway).
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
switchback

Post by switchback »

The advantage of the EPB is that the brake lights don't come on to dazzle the driver behind. When you use Auto Hold the brake lights remain on regardless of whether your foot is on the brake pedal or not. Auto Hold uses the ABS system to apply the brakes. I prefer to use either Auto Hold or the EPB for a hill start as it is more predictable than Hill Start Assist which only applies for about 2 seconds before it releases itself regardless of what the driver does. EPB is better for steep hill starts in my opinion and AH for lesser slopes.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.