Turn off i-Stop Permanently?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

The Alfa has gone and my CX3 is now my daily driver. It will be used for lots of short journeys around town and Im worried about the starter motor and battery. With my wifes new 500 the stop start can be permanently turned off. Anyway, here's two articles I dug up

Mazda engine is good - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/ca ... ained.html

Stop start is bad in cold engines - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answ ... -restarts-
2015 soul red CX3, sport nav auto petrol

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

1st article - Your CX-3 does not have an i-ELOOP capacitor, but i-stop will restart the engine after about 2 mins.

2nd Article - i-stop is a complex system which uses data from numerous sensors to decide if it should activate or not. It is designed not to operate when the engine is cold.

i-stop only uses the starter motor for a fraction of a second to assist the combustion start-up that the system employs.

Any vehicle that only does short journeys (regardless of i-stop) may benefit from the battery charge being topped-up with a suitable external charger from time to time, particularly during the winter months.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Doug

Post by Doug »

I found 2 ways of turning it off permanently.
Have the dealer do it.
When the battery gets down to around 3/4 charge it shuts off the i stop permanently. Discovered this on a 2016 when left parked up for awhile.
Simple for the dealer to reactivate via their computer. It doesn't reactivate by it's self.
June 2019, CX3 Takami , Soul red crystal metallic, Automatic 2WD 2Ltr petrol.
Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

The istop thing has been bothering me.. I found a blog with the answer and I have refined it.. cut a piece off the end of a cable tie - 8mm should do, press the istop button in and wedge the plastic bit into the gap. Now when you start the car it is automatically deactivated - may be next I will make a black decal to cover the annoying orange display, safe in the knowledge that when I accelerate away from the lights I will not be left in limbo..

istop.jpg

Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

or just learn how to drive the car without triggering it..;)

Hope that bodge doesn't interfere with setting the TPMS
Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

No, it is holding the istop in not the TPMS - if the TPMS needs to be reset one can pop the tab out and then replace it or may be not I will wait and see when I next need to rest it..

While talking about bodge jobs Ashford orbital serviced my car last year and failed to fully tighten the oil sump plug..
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

How reassuring to see that on this gadget obsessed forum there is still room for simple low tech solutions. I salute you!
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

My i-stop has turned off the engine for 8 hours in the last 4000 miles. I think I will leave it operational.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

I don't mind I-Stop, until it gets in a tizzy, usually when you have pulled up at traffic lights, then they change as soon as the engine as stopped. Then there is an embarrassing "stall" before it sorts itself out.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.