How good is the auto 'box?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Habu

Post by Habu »

My wife has a 2017 CX-3 Sport Nav with stone leather and safety pack and it's a great car. We're thinking of moving up to a new auto Sport Nav (front sensors and auto handbrake, etc) but we can't find a CX-3 auto demo. My nearest dealer (we're going tomorrow) has a new Mazda 3 auto but is this 'box similar to the CX-3's, i.e. will it feel the same?

Has anyone here moved from a manual to an auto CX-3? I love the manual but an auto may be more suitable to mostly town driving.

Cheers

Habu
Sport Nav in Dynamic Blue Mica / Petrol Manual / Stone Leather / Safety Pack
CX-30 GT Sport Tech auto in Soul Red from January 2020.

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The auto gearbox on my 2015 is excellent.
I don't know how far you're prepared to travel, but may I suggest you check the Mazda used car search to see what CX-3 automatics are available that you could test drive to try the gearbox. At the time of writing, I see that JCT600 in both Leeds and Bradford have one and Stoneacre in Harrogate.
https://www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/u ... eId=286040
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Although I have been a persistent critic of the CX-3's noisy unforgiving ride, allegedly improved with the 2019 face lifted version, the automatic gearbox is the best I have ever experienced. I am an avid follower of the motoring journalist "Honest John", and according to his website there has not been a single reported failure of this gearbox.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
ptirving

Post by ptirving »

Excellent. had it for 2 years over 21k miles in my GT Sport. Great with the stop start and now the adaptive cruise control in my Mazda 3 2019
Literally door to door, street to street, mpg was initially 39mpg and after hitting about 18k miles settled at 42mpg. On a run, motorway and A class road 60-70mph gave 47mpg Never expected figures like that from a 2.0petrol Auto.
Proper torque converter so none of the screaming revs from a cvt or the probs of a dct
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I upgraded from a 2016 manual to a 2019 auto in January. The auto box is great although a bit disappointed there is no ECO mode, only SPORT. It isn't a major issue as you can always flick up a gear with the paddles. The 2019 model with the new suspension and sound proofing is a major improvement. I don't use the electric handbrake as there is a HOLD button which holds the foot brake on when you press it hard. You will love it.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Habu

Post by Habu »

Well my local Mazda dealer had a 2019 CX-3 auto available to drive - it was being used by one of the sales staff. Yes, the 'box was fine and drove nicely although it felt slightly less urgent than our current 2017 Sport Nav+ manual (120 bhp). Definitely a bit more lively in sport mode though. Even though my wife didn't drive the car I have convinced her it would be easier to live with as she does mostly local journeys even though the manual 'box and clutch is superb on the CX-3.
Sport Nav in Dynamic Blue Mica / Petrol Manual / Stone Leather / Safety Pack
CX-30 GT Sport Tech auto in Soul Red from January 2020.