TPMS

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

At what point does the TPMS give you a warning? Ive recently checked my tyres as Ive not had a warning for some time and found one of them about half a pound under. I pumped it up and reset the system. Ive today checked the tyres again and again, found two tyres about half a pound under! When I first bought the car, on the very first journey, Ithe warning light flashed up. As the system was new to me, I took it to a tyre dealer who found that one tyre was one pound under. He pumped it up and reset it and all was fine. Does the tyre pressure have to lose at least one pound for it to register?
Thanks.
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Owner's Manual says TPMS illuminates a low tyre pressure telltale "when one or more of your tyres is significantly under-inflated".

It's intended to warn you of a puncture and does not negate the need to check the tyre pressures about once a month with a pressure gauge when they're cold.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Thanks for that JT. Still a bit odd when it first warned me and was only one pound short. Maybe, as the car was new, it needed time to settle down.
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Possibly. Although the tyres come from the factory inflated above the normal pressure and the dealer reduces to the correct pressure during the PDI and should reset the TPMS prior to handing over the car. If they didn't do the reset, the new owner has to deal with the resulting loss of pressure warning that would come on during the first drive.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

The TPMS can't be that accurate as i have said on a previous thread i over inflate my tyres by around 2 psi and never had a TPMS warning after i have re set the system.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

I understood the TPMS does not actually monitor tyre pressure

Instead it monitors the difference in wheel speed, on the same axle, as a loss of pressure would cause the rolling circumference to change and thus the rotational speed.

So a small chance of .5-1 psi may not be enough to trigger a change in rolling circumference especially if over a period of time
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

MJC1216 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm The TPMS can't be that accurate as i have said on a previous thread i over inflate my tyres by around 2 psi and never had a TPMS warning after i have re set the system.
Why would you expect a warning of loss of pressure after resetting the system to new, higher, pressures ???
Last edited by Deleted User 1511 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I agree cx3fan......I have replaced the dust caps with ones that relay the tyre pressure to a monitor on the dash.....in the summer when parked in the sun the tyres facing the sun are sometimes several psi higher than the side in the shade, and when driving off the warning has not been displayed.
As you correctly say the system does not monitor the actual pressure. I can also see from the monitor that when the temperature drops to below freezing it is surprising how much the tyre pressure also drops.
I like the system I have installed as you can see the tyre pressures on the move, and get really early notice of a slow puncture.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019