1.5 skyactiv diesel Remap and/or DPF delete anyone?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Good afternoon, we have a 2016 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 diesel that we have owned from new. Whilst I like a lot of things about this car, I have a number of issues.

1. The DPF does not seem to regenerate passively. The vehicle gets driven about 250 miles on the motorway each week and locally at weekends. Instead of passively regenerating when on a motorway run the car always seems to wait for the weekend to try and actively regenerate on a short journey, fail and repeat on the next journey.

2. After a software update at the same time that the a/c condenser was replaced under warranty the mpg has fallen drastically. Brim to brim it used to average about 70-75mpg (no BS) and since the update it averages around 60-65mpg. It is likely both these issues are related as more regens use more diesel. The oil level remains constant and has never increased.

3. I am not happy with the durability of the paint finish. The car is metallic blue and the front bumper, bonnet and wings are peppered with stone chips. The car looks like it has been tailgating a gritter for 47,000 miles and not driven in the sensible manner that it has. The primer is white which makes it look even worse. I have raised this with the local dealer and Mazda UK and attempted to make a claim under the paintwork guarantee but this was rejected as it does not cover stonechips!

4. The oil life meter reaches zero after about 8,500 miles. What’s that all about?

I realise that Mazda sold about 32 of the new shape diesel 2’s and a lot more diesel CX3’s. Have any members on this forum experienced these issues and if so had any joy resolving them? I am torn between selling this car or trying to fix it. My current thinking is maybe getting it remapped and possibly get the dpf removed at the same time. (I recognise the moral aspect of this) I believe this will improve mpg, solve the dpf problems and improve drivability through increased torque. Has anyone on this forum had the 1.5D remapped and/or had the dpf removed and if so how did they get on? Whereabouts is the dpf located on the car? Is it hidden below the plastic undertray?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I hate to tell you this, but it is illegal to drive a car which has had the DPF removed and would fail a MOT, the tester will check for removal and filters that have been tampered with.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

I how I love some forums. I have a asked a number of questions looking for helpful advice but no that’s not what I get in response. Yes I am aware it’s illegal to drive a car with the dpf removed but so is swearing in public. If the dpf is hidden behind the plastic undertray then removing the internals and replacing it would be undetectable and the car would not fail an MOT.

Can anyone else who owns and has experience of the Mazda skyactiv 1.5 Diesel engine offer any helpful advice or anecdotal evidence. Mazda has now discontinued this engine which tells me it was unpopular/flawed and any software updates (emissions fixes) have made it worse.

Decision made; just ordered a Tesla model 3 performance edition.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I did not intend to cause offence, I was not to know you new the rules re the dpf, thought I was being helpful.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

I know you did not and non was taken. Are there any CX-3 diesel owners active on this forum who might be able to help or have they all sold them and bought petrols or hybrids? Next stop Mazda 3 forums!
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I have a 2015 Diesel but confess to not being particularly mechanically minded, so I don't think I'll be much help in this case.

I haven't had any of the issues you allude to.

I don't usually notice when mine is doing DPF regens. If yours is often failing to complete active regens, that will usually dilute the oil with diesel, but you say the oil level has not increased.

Dealers can force a long DPF regen by hooking up the car to their diagnostics computer, but that's usually only necessary if the DPF warning light in the instrument cluster illuminates to indicate that the DPF is full and hasn't been cleared out by a 20 min journey.

Some Mazda's with the 1.5 SKYACTIV D engine have injectors with a faulty spray pattern. Dealers were sent a Service Bulletin about how to check and what to replace.

There are different types of software updates. The OS for the MZD Connect system may be out of date on your car. I believe there was an issue with at least one version causing the wrench indicator for an oil change to come on prematurely. Other software updates may be related to the Powertrain Control Module and Body Control Module/s that would be the subject of Technical Service Bulletins or safety recalls issued by Mazda.

I'm getting mid 50's average MPG according to fuel economy meter.

There are complaints about the Mazda paint chipping easily, particularly from Soul Red owners. I think it has been found to be a bit thin on some cars and Mazda UK have agreed to resprays once the paint thickness has been tested.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

Percy247 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:53 am I have a asked a number of questions looking for helpful advice but no that’s not what I get in response.
Yep; that about sums this place up.

Sorry i can't help; I drive a petrol engined AWD CX3 , partly chosen to avoid the DPF brouhaha. I cant see why it shouldn't regenerate on long run though. I thought the system controller waited until the temperature was high enough and then did its thing.

Agree about the paint. My roof - the bloomin roof even - has chips! The key is to keep on top of chips with cocktail sticks and Mazda's touch up paint.

It's probably time to trade it in ... methinks.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently trying to resolve a warranty claim on the paintwork with Mazda UK from earlier this year. I would say the car has in excess of 150 stone chips on the front bumper, bonnet and wings. The car has never been driven above 75mph and neither the wife or I tailgate. I have given up touching the stone chips up as new ones just appear. The paintwork is too thin and not fit for purpose. The vehicle has already been into a dealership for an inspection but the information seems to have disappeared! I am just going to keeping plugging away. I keep thinking if I had bought the car on PCP would they have had the cheek to try and charge me for the stone chip damage when I returned it!
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Having a 16 reg Soul Red and finding out about how thin the paint appears to be *after* purchase I haven't found it to be any more 'stonechippy' than any other car we've owned. Luck of the draw???
As for dpf\egr removal I'm of the opinion that eventually it will be found out and not worth the effort\price of removal if it's only going to have to be reinstalled at a later date.... Or car scrapped? (And perhaps rather irresponsible in this day and age?)
Dpf problems are one of the main reasons why I now wouldn't even consider diesel!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Kube1010

Post by Kube1010 »

DPF Delete is just silly in every way. I've seen a lot of 'DPF Issues' highlighted by people who who should have never bought a diesel either because they don't do the miles or their driving pattern doesn't fit with DPF guidance. You can actively regenerated the DPF on a CX-3 - take it on the motorway and keep it at 3k revs or slightly above for 20 mins - on the media display under the fuel economy page, you will see the i-stop 'READY' and the three symbols on the right, Engine, AC, Battery, all with a blue glow round them - when the regen kicks in, the i-stop goes to 'NOT READY' and the blue glow around the engine symbol disappears - this lasts about 5-7 min. Best way I've found to do this is 65-67mph in 4th gear on the motorway and then back to normal 5th/6th when the regen starts.

Can't understand why you were getting 70-75MPG - that, IMHO is just not possible on combined driving, even with a heavier slant on motorway driving.