1.5 skyactiv diesel Remap and/or DPF delete anyone?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Kube1010 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:34 am DPF Delete is just silly in every way. I've seen a lot of 'DPF Issues' highlighted by people who who should have never bought a diesel either because they don't do the miles or their driving pattern doesn't fit with DPF guidance. You can actively regenerated the DPF on a CX-3 - take it on the motorway and keep it at 3k revs or slightly above for 20 mins - on the media display under the fuel economy page, you will see the i-stop 'READY' and the three symbols on the right, Engine, AC, Battery, all with a blue glow round them - when the regen kicks in, the i-stop goes to 'NOT READY' and the blue glow around the engine symbol disappears - this lasts about 5-7 min. Best way I've found to do this is 65-67mph in 4th gear on the motorway and then back to normal 5th/6th when the regen starts.

Can't understand why you were getting 70-75MPG - that, IMHO is just not possible on combined driving, even with a heavier slant on motorway driving.
The reason I asked the question about a dpf delete is that Mazda dpf implementation and software is sub optimal. Dealer software updates in about 2018 reduced the dpf regeneration frequency from 250 to 150 miles.. So over a tank of fuel the car regens 4-5 times, each time wasting 5-10 miles worth of diesel. Secondly, with an incomplete regen cycle, excess fuel makes its way into the sump and raises oil left which is never a good thing.

The dpf regens normally whilst driving. Why would I go looking for a motorway and drive at 65mph in fourth and waste even more diesel? I do drive with the fuel economy screen as the default on the MZD connect to monitor when a regen starts. Then I will drive normally for 10 minutes and it completes itself. If it happens in the last few minutes if a journey then I will make sure it completes on the next journey to minimise the number of failed regens and oil dilution. I have never had a dpf warning light since new.

Our Mazda 2 has done 66,000 miles over 6 years and was bought at a time when the government where supporting diesel through road tax and BIK benefits. Most of these miles where completed pre Covid and up and till then the car made perfect sense. Zero road tax, £150/year insurance and a genuine 65-70mpg make it a cheap car to own.

However the car is compromised by Mazdas poor dpf implementation and this has to be actively managed if you are no longer doing regular long journeys. It also has the potential to be a better car by remapping, removing the dpf and deleting the egr. These improvement would up the power to 130bhp, improve driveability and improve economy to over 75mpg. All the dpf problems would also disappear.

Morally, I know it’s wrong to remove a DPF but this happens to most dpf equipped diesels that are over 10 years old or have done over 120,000 miles. When the DPF becomes terminally blocked and owners face the choice of a £1500 bill for new dpf or £250 bill for dpf delete, most choose the second option!
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.

Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Getting off topic slightly but, How can i tell that the car is doing a regen? I've always gone on the fact that the cooling fan is running after the engine is switched off (which i try to avoid), But is there any other way of telling. I drive an HGV and there's a light comes on to indicate it's in regen, Why didn't Mazda do that with thier cars.
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Graeme67 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:34 am Getting off topic slightly but, How can i tell that the car is doing a regen? I've always gone on the fact that the cooling fan is running after the engine is switched off (which i try to avoid), But is there any other way of telling. I drive an HGV and there's a light comes on to indicate it's in regen, Why didn't Mazda do that with thier cars.
There are three ways to tell;

1. The stop start shows as “not ready”in the fuel economy section of mzd connect. The three icons at the bottom (engine, battery and aircon) must all have blue outlines for the stop start to work. If the engine icon does not, then it’s either warming up or performing a dpf regen. Note; if the aircon is on or the battery has insufficient charge then the S/S will also show as “not ready” but the dpf will still regen but you cant see when it starts and finishes.

2. The current mpg drops drastically which is best seen In the fuel economy graph. Also, whilst driving if I take my foot off the pedal, the instant mpg increases to 170mpg normally but a lot less whilst doing a regen.

3. The engine note changes and to me the turbo sounds louder and more obvious.

A light on the dash showing when a regen is taking place makes sense to those in the know but would confuse the hell out of a lot if people. A button on the dash to initiate a regen would also be great (just as you begin a motorway run). Do HGVs have a facility like this?
Last edited by Percy247 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Hi, Thanks for that. The wagons that i've driven don't have anything to start a regen. The one i drive at the moment is a Mercedes, The only way i know it's doing a regen is there is a green light shows up next to AdBlue gauge on the dash, The engine note changes and there is a right stink from the exhaust. When a regen starts it lasts about 45 mins......
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
uclaudio83

Post by uclaudio83 »

Percy247 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:59 pm Good afternoon, we have a 2016 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 diesel that we have owned from new. Whilst I like a lot of things about this car, I have a number of issues.

1. The DPF does not seem to regenerate passively. The vehicle gets driven about 250 miles on the motorway each week and locally at weekends. Instead of passively regenerating when on a motorway run the car always seems to wait for the weekend to try and actively regenerate on a short journey, fail and repeat on the next journey.

2. After a software update at the same time that the a/c condenser was replaced under warranty the mpg has fallen drastically. Brim to brim it used to average about 70-75mpg (no BS) and since the update it averages around 60-65mpg. It is likely both these issues are related as more regens use more diesel. The oil level remains constant and has never increased.

3. I am not happy with the durability of the paint finish. The car is metallic blue and the front bumper, bonnet and wings are peppered with stone chips. The car looks like it has been tailgating a gritter for 47,000 miles and not driven in the sensible manner that it has. The primer is white which makes it look even worse. I have raised this with the local dealer and Mazda UK and attempted to make a claim under the paintwork guarantee but this was rejected as it does not cover stonechips!

4. The oil life meter reaches zero after about 8,500 miles. What’s that all about?

I realise that Mazda sold about 32 of the new shape diesel 2’s and a lot more diesel CX3’s. Have any members on this forum experienced these issues and if so had any joy resolving them? I am torn between selling this car or trying to fix it. My current thinking is maybe getting it remapped and possibly get the dpf removed at the same time. (I recognise the moral aspect of this) I believe this will improve mpg, solve the dpf problems and improve drivability through increased torque. Has anyone on this forum had the 1.5D remapped and/or had the dpf removed and if so how did they get on? Whereabouts is the dpf located on the car? Is it hidden below the plastic undertray?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Ciao se hai bisogno posso fornirti la soluzione file giusta per eliminare DPF e EGR..
Abbiamo lavorato duramente per quasi due anni per realizzare la soluzione funzionante con i stop attivo...funziona tutto come in versione originale
uclaudio83

Post by uclaudio83 »

uclaudio83

Post by uclaudio83 »

Queste sono le conseguenze del DPF ed EGR

received_302198721809122.jpeg

received_435615804780451.jpeg

received_694499824852764.jpeg

received_420625346366139.jpeg