Passenger wing mirror not fully closing

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

Hello,

Yesterday I noticed that my passenger wing mirror won't close in when I use the controller. It moves in slightly and I can hear the motor whirring but then it halts and the whirring peters out. The adjusting the mirror option still works. I know the wing mirror hasn't been hit as it happened leaving work and I'm parked where no one else can park next to me or walk past it. If I wiggled the controller I can move it slowly in increments to close the mirror in. Anyone else had this problem and any suggestions?

Thanks
CX-3, Sport Nav, 2.0l, Petrol, 66 plate.

switchback

Post by switchback »

Was it or had it recently been iced-up?
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

If you still have any manufacturer's warranty left or an extended warranty, get your dealer to replace the door mirror assembly FOC.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

We had some ice last week and some beginning of this week, I'm pretty sure my warranty ran out in Sept this year. The odd thing is that the wing mirror opens up fully if a little slower than the working drivers side. Its closing it that's the problem. Can you manually push in the wing mirror or am I likely to do more damage?

Thanks
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

Just phoned my local mazda dealer and the receptionist has just said she's taken lots of calls about exactly the same problem, 3 in the last hour alone, the last call was on a 18 plate CX-3.
BWJ

Post by BWJ »

A good idea is to spray connection to mirror with silicone spray, that prevent freezing.
CX3 2.0, Aut. Nav. Optimum SRC. dec. 2019.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Mine froze this week but I noticed the mirror was slow to move so quickly locked the car again. Good tip about the spray.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

BWJ wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:02 pm A good idea is to spray connection to mirror with silicone spray, that prevent freezing.
Sorry if I sound like a pleb, but what is spray connection or silicone spray?

I've contacted Mazda UK, they've said I should take it to my local dealer and have a diagnostic check (90 quid for a hour max), if the problem shows as a faulty product rather than caused by damage (which I'm sure isn't the case) then Mazda UK may look into replacing it. The annoying thing is it started working after I left work today, but they advised having it looked at. He mentioned about turning off the auto folding mirrors feature. Mine hasn't got that as far as I'm aware. I have to do it myself using the little twist dial on the door rest which also acts as the angle adjuster for the mirrors. Or have I missed something? There's a abutton below the dial which locks the windows and the 4 levers for the windows and that's it.

Sorry for the ramble but appreciate the info that comes from this forum
Cheers
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I believe BWJ is suggesting that you fold the mirrors in and then spray in the joint where they fold to lubricate the gears & reduce the possibility of them icing up. You can get silicone spray from Halfords https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... cant-500ml but there are other brands and retailers.

However, if the problem is not down to icing up or lack of lubrication, and once the plastic gears get damaged, in my opinion it's unlikely that you'll fix the issue permanently without replacement.

Some CX-3 models have auto-folding mirrors which fold/unfold when you lock/unlock the doors and that behaviour can be switched off, but your car doesn't have that feature.

Although you didn't take out extended warranty, it sounds like Mazda may be prepared to replace if it hasn't been physically damaged. However, if it's started folding OK again, then you may decide to leave it for the time being.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Stagman

Post by Stagman »

The gears stripped on my passenger mirror, so the motor was running all the time and mirror just twitching.
I didn’t want to spent £250 ish on a new mirror, I removed the door trim and cut the white/black striped wire on the mirror side of connector plug. Taped up both ends.
All functions work apart from folding which I rarely used.
John..
Dec 2015 Meteor Grey, Sport nav petrol auto.
Totnes
Devon