Tyre replacement

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Slight quandary-I have a damaged side wall on a rear tyre that will mean replacement or a failed MOT next spring. I have researched £options and there is a wide choice starting from £85 and going up to £160( and beyond). Car is just over 3 years old and has covered 13,000 miles. If I hadn't damaged the rear tyre--would have probably reviewed possibility of replacements -all round- summer 2022 . I could of course just replace the damaged tyre, but I could replace both rear tyres now and the fronts next spring ....Looking for "all year" tyres.
Would be interested in any views or comments.
Thanks
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

I would probably replace the rear two with Michelin CrossClimate tyres(providing yours isn't AWD)and then replace the front to match next year.

I was going to do that with mine but i am looking at changing in the next few months.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

As above.
I've got 215/50 R18 Michelin Cross Climate SUV 92W on mine. Very happy with them. I paid £120 ea. for four last year.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
simonwig

Post by simonwig »

Hi

Timely question as my fronts are wearing low, however mine is AWD, so is the suggestion replace front like with like, or replace all four if different?

If all four what would you suggest?

Thanks

Simon
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

What tyres have you currently got on? What is the wear on the remaining 3 tyres?
My original tyres lasted 55k miles. Replacement Falkens (for the reduced road noise) cost me £600. Do you really need to spend that money for all-season tyres given where you live and that you don't do many miles?
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

My current tyres are the ones supplied when vehicle was new-no idea what make.
Assume if I replace 2 at the REAR--as long as they are the same brand( but different from the front)--thats fine and safe?
And finally-For someone like me who potters around country lanes at low speed and rarely uses motorways-should i buy premium or will "budget" suffice ?...whats the benefit of premium--longer lasting? thicker? least likely to puncture? Great at high speeds and doing racing corners?
As long as the tyres last 3/4 years and 12,000 miles that will do for me!
Thanks
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Dogfuzz wrote: ...Assume if I replace 2 at the REAR--as long as they are the same brand( but different from the front)--thats fine and safe?

Yes, if both new rear tyres are the same brand and tread pattern and meet or exceed the speed rating in the vehicle Owner's Manual.
Dogfuzz wrote: ... And finally-For someone like me who potters around country lanes at low speed and rarely uses motorways-should i buy premium or will "budget" suffice ?...whats the benefit of premium--longer lasting? thicker? least likely to puncture? Great at high speeds and doing racing corners?..

In my opinion, mid-range tyres are probably your best choice, as they tend to have better grip & braking performance in a variety of conditions than budget tyres.
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/budget-t ... ium-tyres/
https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-tyre- ... ney/n19437
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

simonwig wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:57 am Hi

Timely question as my fronts are wearing low, however mine is AWD, so is the suggestion replace front like with like, or replace all four if different?

If all four what would you suggest?

Thanks

Simon

I believe the recommendation for AWD vehicles is that all 4 should be changed rather than just the worn ones. This is as stated by Mazda - see the Owners Manual extract below. I guess it depends how worn the rears are compared to new ones? If you were just to change 2 tyres, I think you'll find the advice from tyre companies is the new ones should go on the rear - irrespective of the wheels driven - so that the car maintains stability in exceptional circumstances i.e. the car will just understeer when cornering due to loss of front grip rather than spinning round out of control due to loss of rear grip.

Mazda CX-3 Replacing tyres on AWD models.pdf
(27.7 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

My car's original Toyo tyres have done 20,000 miles and still showing 5mm of tread all round. I must accelerate, brake and corner far too slowly ;)
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Wish I was one of those owners whose hard wearing tyres last tens of 1000's of miles with lots of tread left after years!
I don't keep a book on it-but the historical trend with me has always been to have to have a tyre review following either an unrepairable puncture, flint damage, pot hole collision or a damaged sidewall .
Oh well!