Battery

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

My car battery has been going flat the last couple of weeks, Used the car last Saturday after i charged the battery because it was flat, Didn't use it during the last week but tried to start it today, Flat again, It's now on charge.. When changing the battery is there anything i should be aware of? Reseting anything? Looking online and having problems finding the correct battery which caters for stop/start. Halfords don't seem to have them, neither do a lot of the online suppliers.
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav

st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Graeme67 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:50 pm My car battery has been going flat the last couple of weeks, Used the car last Saturday after i charged the battery because it was flat, Didn't use it during the last week but tried to start it today, Flat again, It's now on charge.. When changing the battery is there anything i should be aware of? Reseting anything? Looking online and having problems finding the correct battery which caters for stop/start. Halfords don't seem to have them, neither do a lot of the online suppliers.

The information in these documents might be of help regarding your current battery :-

Mazda CX-3 Battery Recharging.pdf
(80.29 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Mazda CX-3 Battery Check.pdf
(87.2 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

I've searched the Halfords site using these details "Mazda CX-3 1.5 Automatic Diesel 2017/2018 (67)" (Note: I'm certain it would be the same for a manual model and / or a 2017 17 plate)

and it brings up the Yuasa YBX7005 for £142

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... 85430.html

Here is the same battery on the Yuasa site :-

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx7005.html

Capacity Ah (20-HR): 65
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 65
Cold Cranking Performance (Amps) EN1: 620

The only query I have concerns the battery measurements - it says :-

Length (mm) 232
Width (mm) 173
Height (mm) 225

I think one or more of these measurements might potentially be a problem i.e. too big :( You'd need to measure your current battery, or more relevant the battery tray and fixings, to make sure this new one would fit ok.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:05 pm
Graeme67 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:50 pm My car battery has been going flat the last couple of weeks, Used the car last Saturday after i charged the battery because it was flat, Didn't use it during the last week but tried to start it today, Flat again, It's now on charge.. When changing the battery is there anything i should be aware of? Reseting anything? Looking online and having problems finding the correct battery which caters for stop/start. Halfords don't seem to have them, neither do a lot of the online suppliers.

The information in these documents might be of help regarding your current battery :-

Mazda CX-3 Battery Recharging.pdf

Mazda CX-3 Battery Check.pdf

I've searched the Halfords site using these details "Mazda CX-3 1.5 Automatic Diesel 2017/2018 (67)" (Note: I'm certain it would be the same for a manual model and / or a 2017 17 plate)

and it brings up the Yuasa YBX7005 for £142

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... 85430.html

Here is the same battery on the Yuasa site :-

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx7005.html

Capacity Ah (20-HR): 65
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 65
Cold Cranking Performance (Amps) EN1: 620

The only query I have concerns the battery measurements - it says :-

Length (mm) 232
Width (mm) 173
Height (mm) 225

I think one or more of these measurements might potentially be a problem i.e. too big :( You'd need to measure your current battery, or more relevant the battery tray and fixings, to make sure this new one would fit ok.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at that one in Halfords but it's not available to collect or for delivery. I phoned them and was told they cannot get that battery anymore, It's been discontinued by Yuasa..Looked on Euro Car Parts and they have 4 different batteries, Exide, Bosch, Varta and Lion but they are all lower spec than what is on the car already (amps, CCA Etc) and 3 of them are just shy of £200 :( Does the spec of a new battery have to be exactly the same as the one thats already on the car or would a battery with higher Amps and cold cranking speed etc be ok?
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

It may be worth tesing to see if there is a discharge from the battery when you think you have switched everything off. To do this you need anmeter which can read up to 10 amps, disconnect the positive terminal of the battery and join the ammeter terminal between the battery terminal and the positive lead going to the car after making sure that you have set the ammeter correctly i.e. 10 amps. The only discharge you should see is for the alarm which is only a few milliamps. If you see 100 milliamps or more then there is a fault which neds to be investigated.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

If a new battery is needed (I changed mine earlier this year) I found our Mazda dealer was the cheapest around!
And a battery of higher Amp/HR would be fine as it means it can supply those amps for that time, it's the load (ie the cars electrical items) that defines how many amps are drawn from the battery.
If you use a meter in the current (amps\milliamps) setting whatever you do don't connect it across the battery (pos to neg) as you could cause damage because you will be short circuiting the battery!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Thanks for the replies, I'll check it first with the meter before splashing out any money on a new one, Thanks again