Space saver

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Recently bought wifey a brand new CX3 and although she loves we had a space saver wheel added as neither of us were too keen on her driving around the local country lanes full of potholes without a spare - what happens if the worst does happen and kwikfit are closed ?
I hit a pothole one evening a few years ago and actually buckled the alloy wheel as well as rip the tyre but thankfully had a spare.
I know it adds to the weight of the car and means less fuel economy but surely a spare is worth it ?
CX3 Sport Nav AWD Automatic Diesel Soul Red with safety pack

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Yes, I'm getting a spare for mine, and there are a few others on here that have done the same. Even if you have to call Mazda Roadside Assistance out to change it, they'll have your wheel to use instead of having to tow the car somewhere.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I bought the space saver kit etc from one of the guys on the forum. Wasn't happy just having that gunk stuff.
Deleted User 437

Post by Deleted User 437 »

Hi everyone, I've decided to take the plunge and buy a space save compatible with the bose unit, a Mazda dealer online has quoted £379 for the kit including tyre, is this a good price. The dealer I bought the car from has to contact Mazda Technical on Monday in order to get the correct part number, then a price for the kit & separate price for the tyre, as the part number on Mazdas website wasn't recognised?? So I'm thinking it may be easier to order online if the price is reasonable.

Thanks.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I'd be prepared to pay a few £ more for the dealer to order - if it is the wrong part, it is their problem to sort out.

And that price looks good seeing as most offers are c£310 without tyre....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182135449111
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I paid £370 for mine - the complete kit of wheel / tyre / packing stuff for bose compatibility / jack and jack handle - when placing my order for a Sport Nav with a dealer back in Feb'16. They left the pack of gunk and electric tyre pump in the boot. So the quote you've received of £379 is almost the same. I expect I might have been able to get it cheaper online but didn't check it out.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Deleted User 437

Post by Deleted User 437 »

Thanks for your replies, I'll see if the dealer where I bought the car from quotes a price similar to the online, they have been pretty good with other bits & pieces I have had fitted. The online price was a Mazda dealer in Kent so hopefully they would order the correct part.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Rather than using a space-saver, this weekend I fitted a genuine Mazda 18" alloy wheel as a spare in the boot, as anchorman did for his CX-3 back in December last year.

I've written my own article, including part numbers, here: http://www.jtonline.info/18-inch-spare-wheel/
Anchorman's article is here: Full size spare wheel
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

st3v3cx-3 wrote:I paid £370 for mine - the complete kit of wheel / tyre / packing stuff for bose compatibility / jack and jack handle - when placing my order for a Sport Nav with a dealer back in Feb'16. They left the pack of gunk and electric tyre pump in the boot. So the quote you've received of £379 is almost the same. I expect I might have been able to get it cheaper online but didn't check it out.

Sounds the same as me. The salesman said most people seem to ask for the space saver as an optional extra.
CX3 Sport Nav AWD Automatic Diesel Soul Red with safety pack
kerbstone

Post by kerbstone »

Apologies, I'm new here, if I am reviving an old post on this thorny subject. I am collecting a s/h CX-3 in a week's time, and am trying to decide on what to do about the lack of spare wheel. The can of sealant is a joke - only 2 weeks ago we had a flat on the current vehicle and the sidewalls were cut through. Fat lot of good a can of sealant would have been!

So having read anchorman's & jtonline's helpful contributions on full size spares, I am weighing up the pros and cons of space saver v full size. The car has the Bose thing in the boot. I have some questions:

1. Presumably the polystyrene inserts ("trunk boards") for the version (like mine) supplied with no spare wheel are different to the inserts for the space saver?
2. If so, is it feasible to cut them to fit either a space saver or a full size spare? (or would that be a bodge too far, or are new inserts cheap?)
3. The Sport Nav has full size 18" rims with 215/50R 18 tyres. The space saver seems to be a 16" rim with T125/90D16 98M for all CX-3s. From what I read, the full size 215/50R 18 would mean that the boot floor has to be at the higher level. But what about the T125/90D16 98M? In that case (with Bose) can the floor be at the lower level?

I have always felt it necessary to manage the wheel rolling circumferences on my old Freelander 1 vehicle so that the larger ones are on the back, to avoid the viscous coupling seizing (£600-plus to replace) because it thinks that the rears are slipping and would then operate continuously until it seizes. The Mazda AWD seems to have an electromagnetic coupling with sensors galore so I don't know to what extent an odd size or smaller wheel/tyre on the back might screw that up. So, belt and braces, I am tempted to go for a full size spare anyway and avoid the warranty arguments....

Thanks for any info on my 3 questions. Unlike some, this seems to be one of the calmer and less confrontational forums!
65/2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Soul Red, 2.0 Petrol, AWD, Manual