Space saver

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

When you get the complete space saver kit for cars with the Bose subwoofer you get a new set of inserts and lower floor cover.

manofkent

Post by manofkent »

Pablo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:44 pm Recently bought wifey a brand new CX3 and although she loves we had a space saver wheel added as neither of us were too keen on her driving around the local country lanes full of potholes without a spare - what happens if the worst does happen and kwikfit are closed ?
I hit a pothole one evening a few years ago and actually buckled the alloy wheel as well as rip the tyre but thankfully had a spare.
I know it adds to the weight of the car and means less fuel economy but surely a spare is worth it ?
Don't most of the rescue service vans now carry some sort of universal sparel which they can fit if no spare is available?
CX3 Sport Nav 2 litre petrol auto 2WD - Deep Crystal Blue Mica - front sensors, arm rest, aluminium pedals
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

kerbstone wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 pm Apologies, I'm new here, if I am reviving an old post on this thorny subject. I am collecting a s/h CX-3 in a week's time, and am trying to decide on what to do about the lack of spare wheel. The can of sealant is a joke - only 2 weeks ago we had a flat on the current vehicle and the sidewalls were cut through. Fat lot of good a can of sealant would have been!
Hi., and welcome to the forums.
kerbstone wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 pm 1. Presumably the polystyrene inserts ("trunk boards") for the version (like mine) supplied with no spare wheel are different to the inserts for the space saver?
2. If so, is it feasible to cut them to fit either a space saver or a full size spare? (or would that be a bodge too far, or are new inserts cheap?)
3. The Sport Nav has full size 18" rims with 215/50R 18 tyres. The space saver seems to be a 16" rim with T125/90D16 98M for all CX-3s. From what I read, the full size 215/50R 18 would mean that the boot floor has to be at the higher level. But what about the T125/90D16 98M? In that case (with Bose) can the floor be at the lower level?
1) Yes, if you fit an 18" wheel or a 16" space saver, the polystyrene inserts you will have around the sub-woofer would need replacing with the inserts for the 16" space saver.
2) Cutting what you currently have would be "a bodge too far". Mazda UK part numbers and prices for the correct ones are in my blog article.
3) Yes a full size wheel is too deep to allow you to drop the luggage board. Also, according to the Owner's Manual Leaflet P035/15, "CAUTION -The luggage board can only be used on the lower level on vehicles with the emergency flat tyre repair kit or vehicles without the subwoofer, and temporary spare tyre 125/90D16 98M. The luggage board cannot be used on the lower level on vehicles with the sub-woofer, and temporary spare tyres 185/60R16 86M and T145/90R16 106M. If the luggage board is used on the lower level on vehicles with the sub-woofer, and temporary spare tyres 185/60R16 86M and T145/90R16 106M, it cannot be secured properly which could result in damage to the luggage board or an accident."
kerbstone wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 pm . . . I don't know to what extent an odd size or smaller wheel/tyre on the back might screw that up . . .
Mazda recommends that the temporary space saver wheel is used on the rear of the car not the front, at a max speed of 50mph, and only for a short distance.

If you don't buy the official 16" space saver kit, which comes with all the pertinent bits, you will need to buy a jack, mounting bolt and wheel brace. (Part numbers and prices in my blog article).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

What if you had two tyres punctured at the same incident?? ☺
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
kerbstone

Post by kerbstone »

tyrfelin:

Funnily enough, with my Freelander, I had 2 spares - one with a smaller circumference for the fronts, one with a larger circumference for the rears! Clearly one needs at least 4 spares to cover most contingencies, and that is probably the definition of either pedantry or paranoia!! The military aviation mantra used to be 3 back-ups. If there was the space, that would do for me!
65/2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Soul Red, 2.0 Petrol, AWD, Manual
manofkent

Post by manofkent »

Don't most of the rescue service vans now carry some sort of universal spare which they can use if the car has no spare?
CX3 Sport Nav 2 litre petrol auto 2WD - Deep Crystal Blue Mica - front sensors, arm rest, aluminium pedals
kerbstone

Post by kerbstone »

jtonline wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 pm
1) Yes, if you fit an 18" wheel or a 16" space saver, the polystyrene inserts you will have around the sub-woofer would need replacing with the inserts for the 16" space saver.
2) Cutting what you currently have would be "a bodge too far". Mazda UK part numbers and prices for the correct ones are in my blog article.
3) Yes a full size wheel is too deep to allow you to drop the luggage board. Also, according to the Owner's Manual Leaflet P035/15, "CAUTION -The luggage board can only be used on the lower level on vehicles with the emergency flat tyre repair kit or vehicles without the subwoofer, and temporary spare tyre 125/90D16 98M. The luggage board cannot be used on the lower level on vehicles with the sub-woofer, and temporary spare tyres 185/60R16 86M and T145/90R16 106M. If the luggage board is used on the lower level on vehicles with the sub-woofer, and temporary spare tyres 185/60R16 86M and T145/90R16 106M, it cannot be secured properly which could result in damage to the luggage board or an accident."
kerbstone wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 pm . . . I don't know to what extent an odd size or smaller wheel/tyre on the back might screw that up . . .
jtonline wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 pm Mazda recommends that the temporary space saver wheel is used on the rear of the car not the front, at a max speed of 50mph, and only for a short distance.

If you don't buy the official 16" space saver kit, which comes with all the pertinent bits, you will need to buy a jack, mounting bolt and wheel brace. (Part numbers and prices in my blog article).
Thank you jtonline. Your blog is very useful. I will probably go for a full size spare. We lived in Herefordshire until December - with the potholes there, a spare is essential! We actually bent one alloy on a Fiesta on a pothole, and had a broken spring as well! Here in Somerset the sides of the roads seem to be missing, so I suspect that sidewall damage is more likely.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

manofkent wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 pm Don't most of the rescue service vans now carry some sort of universal spare which they can use if the car has no spare?
As I understand it, RAC patrols carry a universal 17" 5 stud wheel (assuming they haven't just used it on their previous callout, I guess). Once fitted. the member drives the car to an approved tyre fitter and then the RAC collect their wheel. I don't know about Mazda roadside assistance or other rescue services. I prefer to have my own wheel that I can fit/have fitted and leave on the car, sort out my own repair, and then swap back at a time of my choosing. Admittedly, that doesn't work if more than one wheel or tyre is damaged at the same time, but that hasn't happened yet.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
kerbstone

Post by kerbstone »

jtonline wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 pm
manofkent wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 pm Don't most of the rescue service vans now carry some sort of universal spare which they can use if the car has no spare?
As I understand it, RAC patrols carry a universal 17" 5 stud wheel (assuming they haven't just used it on their previous callout, I guess). Once fitted. the member drives the car to an approved tyre fitter and then the RAC collect their wheel. I don't know about Mazda roadside assistance or other rescue services. I prefer to have my own wheel that I can fit/have fitted and leave on the car, sort out my own repair, and then swap back at a time of my choosing. Admittedly, that doesn't work if more than one wheel or tyre is damaged at the same time, but that hasn't happened yet.
Yes there is a Universal RAC spare. The Mazda Extended warranty does use RAC for breakdown, but I don't know who is contracted to the original initial 3 year Mazda roadside assistance. Here is the universal spare: http://www.dynomec.co.uk/universal-spare-wheel.html. It covers the 114.3mm PCD of all the CX-3 5 stud wheels. It is one solution, but I don't think that I would want a wheel with oval stud holes on my vehicle, even if only for a few miles. The correct one, in the boot, with round holes, sounds like a better choice to me.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Okay I may get shouted down, but in 52 years of driving I have only had two punctures that have resulted in me changing a wheel. I used to be a sales rep and cover up to 40,000 miles a year. I am more than happy to use the repair kit supplied as a get you home option should it be necessary. I will of course phone the breakdown cover to do it for me and if the tyre is damaged I will accept the lift home. I don't see it as an issue.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED