AirCon Issues

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Philmac wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 pm Hi All

I have a new CX3 Sports Nav purchased in Sep 2016. The AC packed up in end March 2017. Mazda Crawley Sussex looked at beginning of April and said they will need a part and they would order. ( later found out it was the condenser) Waited a month for the part ( not happy as no AC ) took the car in and they fixed it, it lasted a day............... took the car back on 30 May they confirmed that the second condenser had blown. At this point I started to smell a rat, that this was a serious fault with the supplied condenser manufacturer. I work in air conditioning and know they use what is called Micro Channel condenser coils, Mazda would not make these themselves but buy it in from a third party, I can only assume that they have a problem with this supplier and hopefully sourced an alternative. Anyway, Mazda Crawley/Mazda UK have given me a hire car Ford Focus ( with working Air conditioning) My car is still with them and no update despite asking as to when they will have a replacement condenser. I am not a happy bunny, I though I was buying a quality product but now I am worried. If they have the same problem with the evaporator at a later date when the car is out of warranty this will not be a cheap fix as the whole dashboard needs to come out. Mazda should be honest and reassure the customers as to the process/timeline for replacements, all you get from Mazda UK is we are awaiting the parts. As a note for those who dont know, the condenser is the bit in the engine compartment that reject the heat from the refrigerant. and is very high pressure/temperature, so the condenser has to be manufactured to cope with this. The Micro Channel condensers are aluminum pipes with aluminum fins, so is a soft metals and as such the have to be pure. I have seen in the past where poor grade /contaminated Aluminium has been used and condensers pop.
Hi Phil, I'm also in air conditioning and have been following this thread with my fingers crossed. My car was first registered 30th Nov 2016 and I'm hoping that I have the latest condenser fitted already. I also use Mazda Crawley and although they have been helpful on issues with my MX5, it does appear that Mazda are the ones causing the delays. My feeling was that the coils are Chinese made or at least the copper and aluminium sourced from China. As you know we have had bad batches of refrigerant copper tube ending up over here and splitting under pressure. A lot of the braising of the bends in the ends of the coils is also automated nowadays which could lead to batch problems if the programming has errors. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy repair.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

If you want to know if your car is at risk, check the VIN numbers in the TSBs.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

anchorman wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:41 pm If you want to know if your car is at risk, check the VIN numbers in the TSBs.
:( Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't have looked, but thanks anyway.
igloo_si

Post by igloo_si »

condenser broken, no parts for a month. got a rental car for the period as i complained to mazda via adr.
dealership refused to address the tsb fan speed issue without fixing the condenser
Petrol Ceramic White SE-L 03/16 CX3
Gus

Post by Gus »

I have seen the service bulletin for the control panel and evaporator but has anyone seen any for the condensor?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
amigoforlavida

Post by amigoforlavida »

Strangways wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:58 pm
anchorman wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:41 pm If you want to know if your car is at risk, check the VIN numbers in the TSBs.
"the TSB's" ???
CX-3 SEL Nav Auto petrol Soul Red Reg Jan 2017
Gus

Post by Gus »

Technical service bulletins or something close to that.

Unfortunately the mods can't pin things so you have to trawl through threads or strike lucky on a search.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I can find a couple but the one for the condenser escapes me at the moment.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

amigoforlavida wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 am
Strangways wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:58 pm
"the TSB's" ???
As Gus said 'Technical Service Bulletin'. It was the evaporator one that I saw and my VIN Number was included.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Gus wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:04 am Apparently any condensers fitted early, may not be the modified type hence why I am on back order for a second new condensor as when it was previously replaced it was by the same non modified part and it has popped its clogs again......

Parts so far
1 x condensor (unmodified)
1 x control panel (modified)
1 x evaporator (modified)
2 x sealing washers
Back order 1 x condensor (modified)

Only thing left as original is the compressor.......

Interesting conversation if you had to pay to replace the condensor circa £1100 for the condensor and regas.

Tomorrow is the big day.... condenser No2 modified is being fitted......