potholes

The place to discuss everything else..
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

does anyone know what causes that metal thud sound when you hit a pothole? I hit a very small one yesterday and was most surprised by the noise it made considering the car didn't jolt. :o
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition

Joval

Post by Joval »

You may have a worn bush somewhere, if its fine driving on better surfaces I would get it checked when in for service. I sometimes get a bit of a thud on some of the roads where I live but the ride is ok over small holes. Saying that, it's much better than my wife's old Citroen [spit] DS3 which we sold at 11k. miles because of too many rattles and bangs, and when I say bangs I mean bangs. if she hit a bump with the left front, the drivers door went bang. the last straw was the exhaust bracket snapped off the rear part of exhaust and I had to weld it back myself or it meant a new exhaust. I myself had a Mazda 6 Sport from March 2011 till Dec. 2019, never let me down, averaged 45 mpg. every single part worked as it did from the factory till the day I sold it for the CX3 which feels the same quality feel.
CX3 sel-nav. 2.0 ltr. Petrol, manual. Soul red.
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Joval wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 pm You may have a worn bush somewhere, if its fine driving on better surfaces I would get it checked when in for service. I sometimes get a bit of a thud on some of the roads where I live but the ride is ok over small holes. Saying that, it's much better than my wife's old Citroen [spit] DS3 which we sold at 11k. miles because of too many rattles and bangs, and when I say bangs I mean bangs. if she hit a bump with the left front, the drivers door went bang. the last straw was the exhaust bracket snapped off the rear part of exhaust and I had to weld it back myself or it meant a new exhaust. I myself had a Mazda 6 Sport from March 2011 till Dec. 2019, never let me down, averaged 45 mpg. every single part worked as it did from the factory till the day I sold it for the CX3 which feels the same quality feel.
many thanks for the reply. as the car has only done 4000 miles I think this was just a one-off as the drive runs very true. hopefully, it won't happen again but with the roads so bad these days it's going to prove difficult
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition
Joval

Post by Joval »

Hi, glad to hear it may be a one off. Maybe with this lockdown and less cars using the roads the councils will finally get the holes fixed.
CX3 sel-nav. 2.0 ltr. Petrol, manual. Soul red.