Vandals scratch car

The place to discuss everything else..
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Over the weekend a disturbed individual decided to take a sharp object to the bonnet of my CX-3, leaving a number of deep scratches. No chance they can be to polished out so the car is going to need time in the paint shop. First time this has happened to me and its left me feeling somewhat angry, to put it mildly. Whilst this type of crime has been round for years it does make you wonder about the society we live in.
Sport Nav 2.0 Auto Petrol 2WD. Deep Crystal Blue Mica with Half Stone Leather Interior.

zoylander

Post by zoylander »

There seems to be a lot of envy in society today, which sometimes manifests itself in acts of vandalism. You have a smart new car but the vandal almost certainly does not, so he or she takes out their frustration by causing criminal damage to your property.

The infuriating thing is that unless the vandal is captured on CCTV he or she will get away with the crime, leaving you the victim with either a big bill or a hike in next year's insurance renewal.

My previous car was hit whilst parked by a driver who must have known what damage had been done but drove away. Both nearside doors needed repairing and repainting, but needless to say the car park's CCTV did not cover the space my car was parked in.

I feel your pain.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

UKDucatiman wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm...Over the weekend a disturbed individual decided to take a sharp object to the bonnet of my CX-3, leaving a number of deep scratches. No chance they can be to polished out so the car is going to need time in the paint shop...

Really sorry to hear that UKDucatiman. The Deep Blue Crystal Mica will be easier to match than if it was Soul Red and on the plus side, a bonnet re-spray will get rid of any existing stone chips.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

I've spoken to the fella who did the detailing on the car. He is going to take a look at it on Friday afternoon. He also let me know that he has a good relationship with a body shop, which is next door to his unit. He was most confident they will do me a good price on any paint shop requirements. So hopefully this wont be too painful.

@JT, thanks for the advice regarding the paint, its just a shame that I recently spent a number of hours 'touching in' the chip marks on the bonnet. such is life!
Sport Nav 2.0 Auto Petrol 2WD. Deep Crystal Blue Mica with Half Stone Leather Interior.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Hi UKDucatiman

Sorry to hear about your car. There are some real scum bags out there.

Just a thought. Have you tried contacting a mobile spray chip and scratch repairer company for a quote. It could be a cheaper option, or is it too bad for that.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... iN32-xAq7c
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

1Monty wrote: ↑Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am Just a thought. Have you tried contacting a mobile spray chip and scratch repairer company for a quote. It could be a cheaper option, or is it too bad for that.

In the past I've used a 'SMART' repairer to good effect, I think they were called 'Shine'. OK for small bumper and wheel arch repairs but not OK for larger panel areas, like bonnets. I will know more once I've visited the detailer / body shop on Friday.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Well some good news, the detailer feels he will be able to remove 85% of the scratches with just a couple of the deeper ones still being visible. So going the wet light sanding root first.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

If it'll leave deeper scratches visible, wouldn't it be more cost effective to go to a bodyshop for the whole job rather than paying out twice?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Same thought here. Bite the bullet or claim on insurance and get the job done fully once and then forget. No point going half cocked.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Points well made JT & Monty. However If I'm not happy the detailer is not going to charge me and with the paint shop on-site it's just a case of leaving the car for a couple of extra days. So taking it one step at a time.