Why so little choice?

The place to discuss everything else..
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Having the CX-3 now settled in I am now looking for a larger family SUV for the times when the CX-3 isn't big enough. I am looking to spend around 35k - 40k. With all the hype about diesel why is the choice so limited for a petrol automatic. Most manufacturers i have looked at do decent powered petrol models but few with an auto box. The only range of vehicles I have found up till now are from the VAG group. Examples where petrol auto is not available; CX-5, Sorento, Santa Fe, Sportage, Tucson, Ford Edge, Jaguar e-pace and f-pace (unless you want to spend a fortune), Vauxhall Grandland, Jeep Cherokee, the list goes on. Any ideas folks?
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Handy Andy....cast your eye over the Honda CRV , my daughter has one really nice car hers is diesel 4wd but you can buy a 2ltr Auto 2wd.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

It was precisely this lack of choice which resulted in my purchasing the CX-3. At the time (mid-2016) the only other petrol 2WD crossover with a proper torque converter automatic transmission at anything like the price was the Suzuki Vitara, and this was only available in automatic at the highest and most expensive specification, loaded with kit which I did not want or need.

For years the powers that be were obsessed with Co2 emissions whilst ignoring the pollution from particulates. This led the car manufacturers to concentrate on diesels, and the motoring journalists backed them up by almost always recommending diesel over petrol for any model range. No wonder so many customers were persuaded to buy diesel.

With tax changes and the general backlash against diesel we can expect to see more choice of petrol engined models in the short term, but the real future lies with hybrids and eventually all electric cars.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

DaveG wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:12 pm Handy Andy....cast your eye over the Honda CRV , my daughter has one really nice car hers is diesel 4wd but you can buy a 2ltr Auto 2wd.
I did look into this but the lb ft torque is less than the CX-3. Fully loaded with four people and luggage it is not enough and felt quite asthmatic. The diesel is a lot better but it's not the route I want to go down.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

zoylander wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:40 pm It was precisely this lack of choice which resulted in my purchasing the CX-3. At the time (mid-2016) the only other petrol 2WD crossover with a proper torque converter automatic transmission at anything like the price was the Suzuki Vitara, and this was only available in automatic at the highest and most expensive specification, loaded with kit which I did not want or need.

For years the powers that be were obsessed with Co2 emissions whilst ignoring the pollution from particulates. This led the car manufacturers to concentrate on diesels, and the motoring journalists backed them up by almost always recommending diesel over petrol for any model range. No wonder so many customers were persuaded to buy diesel.

With tax changes and the general backlash against diesel we can expect to see more choice of petrol engined models in the short term, but the real future lies with hybrids and eventually all electric cars.
I am currently looking at the Skoda Kodiaq, it seems to tick the boxes with the 180 hp 4x4 DSG set up, fully specced up comes in a shade under my budget.
santa

Post by santa »

Handy Andy wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 am Having the CX-3 now settled in I am now looking for a larger family SUV for the times when the CX-3 isn't big enough. I am looking to spend around 35k - 40k. With all the hype about diesel why is the choice so limited for a petrol automatic. Most manufacturers i have looked at do decent powered petrol models but few with an auto box. The only range of vehicles I have found up till now are from the VAG group. Examples where petrol auto is not available; CX-5, Sorento, Santa Fe, Sportage, Tucson, Ford Edge, Jaguar e-pace and f-pace (unless you want to spend a fortune), Vauxhall Grandland, Jeep Cherokee, the list goes on. Any ideas folks?
I think it's a UK thing, since most of the cars You mentioned is from different manufactures.
Here In Denmark we get petrol autos on most of those You mentioned (exception is one of the Kias and one of the Hyundais).
We even get the CX-5 with auto (and AWD) on both the 2.0 and the 2.5 petrols, so it seems a bit weird.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Currently have a Hyundai Tuscan auto diesel delivered from the hire company today while mine awaits it's gearbox, and Mazda UK are paying.

Like Andy I am no diesel lover but the options do seem limited. I haven't been out in the Hyundai yet but it's a roomy good looking vehicle. I've been wanting to try a auto so this will be a good test to se if I like it or will stick with manual.

I'm hoping I like the auto as I'm getting a lazy bu99er in my old age :D
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

santa wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:20 pm
Handy Andy wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 am Having the CX-3 now settled in I am now looking for a larger family SUV for the times when the CX-3 isn't big enough. I am looking to spend around 35k - 40k. With all the hype about diesel why is the choice so limited for a petrol automatic. Most manufacturers i have looked at do decent powered petrol models but few with an auto box. The only range of vehicles I have found up till now are from the VAG group. Examples where petrol auto is not available; CX-5, Sorento, Santa Fe, Sportage, Tucson, Ford Edge, Jaguar e-pace and f-pace (unless you want to spend a fortune), Vauxhall Grandland, Jeep Cherokee, the list goes on. Any ideas folks?
I think it's a UK thing, since most of the cars You mentioned is from different manufactures.
Here In Denmark we get petrol autos on most of those You mentioned (exception is one of the Kias and one of the Hyundais).
We even get the CX-5 with auto (and AWD) on both the 2.0 and the 2.5 petrols, so it seems a bit weird.
I believe that in the UK we are the poor relations of Europe. The United States also always get a better choice (including a sunroof on the CX-3, which we can't have)
santa

Post by santa »

Handy Andy wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:17 pm
santa wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:20 pm
I believe that in the UK we are the poor relations of Europe. The United States also always get a better choice (including a sunroof on the CX-3, which we can't have)
Yeah, there's also the weird regional differences between US, Europe and other parts of the world, but you should at least get the same engine/transmission choices as the rest of us in Europe.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

This is an interesting thread and as zoylander says highlights the dilemma I too had back in 2016 when I saw the writing on the wall for diesel.

In 2016 there was little choice for SUVs in petrol and the CX-3 was a compromise because ideally I wanted AWD - petrol - auto... (so I had to go fwd). Other territories had different combos and I would have thought that UK would have got more choice., specially 2 years on...

Diesel engines suit heavier cars, and fuel/emissions figures for heavy lumps with petrol engines are pretty poor. The CX-3 wins for me as it's relatively small and light and returns good petrol economy vs performance.

Let's see what 2019 brings when Mazda bring in their new Skyactiv-x HCCI engines.