One new car sale lost - Is this now the norm?

The place to discuss everything else..
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

My wife is looking to buy a new car and we had the following scenario yesterday.

Wife -"Hello we arranged for a test drive in a xxxxxxxx"
Dealer - "Oh yes, have you got your driving licence?"
Wife - "Yes, here it is"
Dealer - "I just need to make a copy of it for insurance purposes"
Wife - "Why? you can see it, you don't need a copy"
Dealer - "I just need a copy"
Wife - "Under the new General Data Protection Regulations which came into force in May this year, the consumer has the right NOT to have personal details held by a third party without their permission"
Dealer - "Without a copy in our records you can't test drive the car"
Wife - "OK, I will but something else, goodbye"

38k deal lost.

It doesn't matter who the dealer was - is this the norm now?
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Yes, and why not? It's a simple and straight forward procedure. They have rules to abide by to make sure that you and they are fully insured in case the worse happens
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

So why would they insist on keeping it on file even after a test drive. Still don't see why they need a copy if they have seen the real thing. Do they think a photo-copy is going to make my wife drive better? We are being constantly advised to protect our personal details, but its OK for a copy of your driving licence be kept by someone you may or may not develop a business relationship with. This goes against the GDPR's. "The right to be fogotten" springs to mind.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I have also had dealers requesting one of the following:

1. Your national insurance number so either you or they can enter it in to a website whilst at the dealers
2. The Check Code if you enter the info yourself at home

This is to check whether your licence has any points on it that are recent and not yet shown on the licence. I have always (on the two recent occasions I've had test drives) obtained the info at home and taken it with me.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Yep................................Normal procedure at lots of places now. We just had our Zoe serviced and had to do it for the loan car. They did say that the copy would be destroyed after we handed the car back and would not be held on file. I hired a van last week and had to do the same.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

This is a matter of principle. I have no objections to checks being made, what I do (or my wife) object to is personal information being retained when it is no longer required. This is completely against one of the fundamental principles of GDPR. It is a protection put in law to protect the individual. Having this information kept as a photocopy is not in my opinion very secure. That's how identity theft happens.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

switchback wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 pm Yep................................Normal procedure at lots of places now. We just had our Zoe serviced and had to do it for the loan car. They did say that the copy would be destroyed after we handed the car back and would not be held on file. I hired a van last week and had to do the same.
Isn't strange that I have never been asked to produce my licence when insuring my own car in all the years I have been driving. The way the law stands it is the drivers legal responsibility to ensure that their licence covers the vehicle that they are insuring.
Trewithy

Post by Trewithy »

I have had to provide my driving licence to be copied prior to a test drive and didn't have a problem with that. Just say you were snapped by a speed camera on the test drive, they need to be able to identify you and the speeding notice may not arrive until a couple of weeks after the test drive.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Someone asked the European Parliament about making a copy of proof of identity documents as a condition of concluding a service contract:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/doc ... 40_EN.html
and this was the reply:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/doc ... SW_EN.html

I guess they need to retain details, whether photocopied or stored digitally, for at least the length of the test drive & then the copy could be returned or destroyed.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

They need a copy so they can trace you if you prang the car or collect a parking / speeding ticket.

Think of it the other way - if you were selling a car privately and a buyer wanted a test drive, what proof if ID would you want.

Good luck test driving and buying a car elsewhere...