CAR COVERS

The place to discuss everything else..
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

CAR COVERS

Car covers come in many sizes, many different materials and are designed for many aplications , is it for you to decide what you need , if at all, car covers work in some enviroments and not in others, again you must decide what type of cover , and which car cover would be suitable.

A car cover designed to last over say 8 years will look very shabby after say 5, 6, or 7 years and usualy have a high price tag,they are made of exotic maretials and priced with the promice to protect your car under many varied weather conditions such as rain; snow; dirt; sun; and even dust inside you garage.

There is a down side to owing a car cover, you car must be clean before aplication and usualy take two people especially if it is windy to apply / fit.

I did not purchase my cover to keep out the rain because where are you going to store a wet car cover that takes forever to dry, also covers can cause damage flogging when it is blowing a gale out side.

Most likely the two best cover are, and this depends where you live or like me in the Hurrican belt where the is a need to cacoon the car.

{1} To keep dust off the paintwork in a garage .
[2] To keep the sun from damaging your cars paint.

For my money , I think a poly pro cover works well and they are not that expensive if it last say two years in the sun I am not complaining, you don't have to sell the farm to get a good cover.

Be carefull to choose the best size for your car , CX3 takes a sub compact size and should it cover your tyres ?

CX3 soul red Auto 2018

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I tried a number of different car covers when I had my old Mk1 MX5s. They all damage the paintwork even the ones with the soft lining. The lining perishes and the movement caused by the wind scratches the paintwork. My new MX5 has had Diamondbrite treatment and is left uncovered. In the long run it is cheaper than keep replacing the covers and keeps the paint protected.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Strangways wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:23 am I tried a number of different car covers when I had my old Mk1 MX5s. They all damage the paintwork even the ones with the soft lining. The lining perishes and the movement caused by the wind scratches the paintwork. My new MX5 has had Diamondbrite treatment and is left uncovered. In the long run it is cheaper than keep replacing the covers and keeps the paint protected.
Car covers have limited uses and I would encourage owners to evaluate their particular situations very carefully, it is all about time of year time of day and where you live there are many situation EG : like living next to a construction site ,which i do just now which leaves me with no choice, however ,it is not for me to "Throw car covers under the bus" as in certain situations a car covers are viable.

If you can find a better alerrnative go for it.

I could make a pro and con list , it is no for me to spoil your fun of cleaning off bird droppings and leaves.

For example it is like having a new born baby, it only needs a diaper when the kid least expects it.

2018 CX# soul red GT No AWD don't need it yet.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Somers,
I take it as you live in the hurricane belt that you are in the U.S. Although I can't tell as your location is not on your profile.
In the UK car covers are rarely used unless storing the vehicle outside. Over here our properties are generally smaller than in the U.S. which gives us less room to dry out wet covers. I personally have never used one and can't see me ever needing to. It's just not worth the bother. If I was storing a classic car it would be in a garage with a purpose made dust cover. Driving around the U.K. you are likely to hardly ever see a car under a cover, they are just not popular here.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Handy Andy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 am Somers,
I take it as you live in the hurricane belt that you are in the U.S. Although I can't tell as your location is not on your profile.
In the UK car covers are rarely used unless storing the vehicle outside. Over here our properties are generally smaller than in the U.S. which gives us less room to dry out wet covers. I personally have never used one and can't see me ever needing to. It's just not worth the bother. If I was storing a classic car it would be in a garage with a purpose made dust cover. Driving around the U.K. you are likely to hardly ever see a car under a cover, they are just not popular here.
Andy
Thank you for your interests. I also read your posts keep up the good work.

My parents came to Bermuda during WW11 .

I have lived in England back at a time when not many people owned cars.

It is my understanding that CX3 forums have a wide folowing in many countries, in Canada the A.W.D. Mazda CX3 's are very popular.

Not all of my posts work for car owners living in the UK,

"Variety is the spice of life ".

My Mazda was dealer custom ordered for Bermuda, we don't need all the extra here.

Mazda cars are very popular in Bermuda and have been for many years,where the CX3 and especially the 2 does very well.
It is only recently that I have been using a car cover and that is mainly to protect the paint and upholstery from the sun.

You may have noticed that my post touch on a many varied topics as I try to stear clear of the complaints department, I realize that car cover are not that common in the UK however they do have their uses ,as you say.

CX 3 soul red Auto.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

When an owner purchases a new CX3 did the dealer explain the workings of the Automatic Transaxel, in my case I was not so fortunate, I found my self having to learn the entire proceedure from " The Book" and I still find my self constantly refering to it till I found AAS or Active Adaptive Shift. Now what on earth is that for ?

May I ask this question should the topic of the gearbox take center page on the forum as it is a complicated topic of discussion and may be should be devided into three or more topic sections.

" Manual Shift" .
"Automatic Transaxel".
" Paddel shifters". or shift switches.

A.A.S. ~ Active Adaptive Shift.

For those who have just recently purchased your CX3 and for the time being may be driving the car in " Automatic mode " would be your best option as the included " Active Adaptive Shift " feature is a fail safe option which controls most day to day driving situations.

May I surgest new owners look through your manual for the' gearbox warnings sections.'

2018 CX3 Auto Soul red.