Hot tip for a cold morning..

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

If as I did this morning came out to a frozen car – we have been warned about leaving the cars engine running and leaving it unlocked whilst one goes back to the house for why and little Johnny down on his luck says ‘Ta’ and off he goes in your pride and joy..

Start the car as normal set the heater to do the melting bit (forgetting aside that it is an offence to leave one’s car engine running unattended) – if you unclip the key from the fob and use it to lock the car door.. and then use it again when you return to find that Johnny has not been able to nick it and your car is now snug..

fob.jpg

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

My best tip would be to stay in bed :lol: ......... But of course not everyone is retired 8-)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

If you have a garage, my tip would be to find other space for the bikes, freezers, lawnmowers etc, and put the car in there.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

zoylander wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:11 pm If you have a garage, my tip would be to find other space for the bikes, freezers, lawnmowers etc, and put the car in there.
:lol:
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

I have been successfully using a portable electric fan heater for many years which I place on the back seat of the car with the mains leads being held in place by the closed rear door, it takes approx 10 mins to completely defrost all the windows in the car in the heaviest ice covered conditions, and the plus side is that when you drive the car it's warm inside and the windows don't mist up due to condensation. I think this is by far the best way of dealing with a frosted up car in the winter and have recommended it to many people who have similarly used the same technique, it's quick and easy, and much safer than using de frost spray etc which as I mentioned, when you start to drive the car the windows mist up and cannot be effectively cleared until the engine has got hot.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Witfit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 am...if you unclip the key from the fob and use it to lock the car door.. and then use it again when you return...
Why not just use the fob as normal, or am I missing something?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

jtonline wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Witfit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 am...if you unclip the key from the fob and use it to lock the car door.. and then use it again when you return...
Why not just use the fob as normal, or am I missing something?
You cannot lock the doors with the fob with the engine running. You have to use the key.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Ah, OK, never tried. 🙂
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

lhcmazda wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 pm I have been successfully using a portable electric fan heater for many years which I place on the back seat of the car with the mains leads being held in place by the closed rear door, it takes approx 10 mins to completely defrost all the windows in the car in the heaviest ice covered conditions, and the plus side is that when you drive the car it's warm inside and the windows don't mist up due to condensation. I think this is by far the best way of dealing with a frosted up car in the winter and have recommended it to many people who have similarly used the same technique, it's quick and easy, and much safer than using de frost spray etc which as I mentioned, when you start to drive the car the windows mist up and cannot be effectively cleared until the engine has got hot.
That is exactly what I used to do when I had more cars than I could garage.
If I had to keep a car outside now, it would be a Ford with the excellent heated windscreen.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Several manufacturers use heated front screens now, not just Ford. My Nissan Qashqai had one.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.