tyre speed ratings

The place to discuss everything else..
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Tyres on the car at the moment are 'V' speed rating, Can i change the front ones to 'W' rating while the back ones will still be 'V' ?.. Got the original Toyo tyres on the back but need 2 new front ones, I like Michelin tyres but in the size i need they are only 'W' .. Is it ok to do this and would this affect my insurance in any way. Thanks
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav

Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Doesn't matter, Phoned insurance company and was told it would have an affect on the policy price, It would increase, Now there's a surprise :) Will have to stick with standard 'v' Rating...
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Don't forget the general ruling of all major tyre manufacturers is that if you are only fitting two tyres then you need to fit them to the rear i.e. in your case it means switching the current rears to the front and put the new tyres on the rear. This is irrespective of whether the car is front / rear / AWD. The idea is it is better to have more grip at the back of the car so the car doesn't spin round uncontrollably in low adhesion situations.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:58 pm Don't forget the general ruling of all major tyre manufacturers is that if you are only fitting two tyres then you need to fit them to the rear i.e. in your case it means switching the current rears to the front and put the new tyres on the rear. This is irrespective of whether the car is front / rear / AWD. The idea is it is better to have more grip at the back of the car so the car doesn't spin round uncontrollably in low adhesion situations.
Thanks mate, I wasn't aware of that. It's the back ones that need to be replaced but i was going to switch them round, older front ones on the back and new ones on the front. I'll keep the new ones on the back.