Mazda CX-3 2015 - 2017 Centre Arm Rest

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

What felt unnatural exactly? Not applying the handbrake in traffic?

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I was taught, many moons ago, to apply the handbrake (parking brake) when in stationary traffic, Rule 114 in the Highway Code, and when at a Stop sign. However, even though I don't have a centre armrest, I have found myself just using the foot brake in this car unless I'm parked. I guess I've just got lazy. I don't think the brake lights are dazzling cars behind.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I still use the handbrake at times and don't find any problem using it. I certainly wouldn't consider not having the armrest. Obviously others feel different.. Horses for courses it seems.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I'm with Rockposer, no issues, foot brake, istop, neutral and handbrake if needed.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I'm old school and always use the handbrake when I stop because that's what I was taught. The Highway code would appear to agree with it.
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

Having an Automatic I never use the handbrake except when parking up

What with istop and Hill Hold it's now redundant in my opinion

But I would still prefer an electronic handbrake, having had one on a VW, it's the only thing I miss from it
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

I've realised what the 'unnatural' feeling probably is, when holding the car stationary on the foot brake. Whenever I do that - number 1 or 2 at traffic lights or pulling out of a junction - the car is always in gear. And thus two feet, clutch and brake are used. Now I also drive automatics (Subarus) for extended periods when out of the UK. It's not auto AND manual; it's a case of auto OR manual, one or the other for several months on end. To help me go seamlessly from manual to auto I always consciously place my left foot firmly on the rest and keep it there.
So the 'unnatural' feeling I have with holding a manual car in neutral on the foot brake is probably muscle memory confusion between auto and manual.

For auto users, I was taught it is not good practice to hold a vehicle in drive unnecessarily for long periods whilst stationary as it may cause wear in the oily bits.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Maybe the answer would be that the brake lights switch off when the istop comes in. That would exclude half of the drivers that are determined to dazzle the cars behind them.
Soulred

Post by Soulred »

Strangways wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 pm Maybe the answer would be that the brake lights switch off when the istop comes in. That would exclude half of the drivers that are determined to dazzle the cars behind them.
That sounds pretty dangerous. Parked at the back of a traffic jam with no opportunity to flash the brake lights? No thanks!
March 2017 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav Automatic in Soul Red.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Soulred wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 pm
Strangways wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 pm Maybe the answer would be that the brake lights switch off when the istop comes in. That would exclude half of the drivers that are determined to dazzle the cars behind them.
That sounds pretty dangerous. Parked at the back of a traffic jam with no opportunity to flash the brake lights? No thanks!
If you feel it necessary to flash your brake lights put your foot on the clutch and do it.