Air Con fail and fix

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Mkmagpie

Post by Mkmagpie »

Spookily I had exactly the same experience as Kimm - car booked in for air con failure and got a call from the dealer yesterday to say there was a known issue and they were awaiting parts.... having read some of the previous posts however, it looks like I’ve had a problem from the outset as there is limited control over temperature......... Baltic or Bahamas!

User1234

Post by User1234 »

I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with getting a nice temperature in the cabin. The main problem I’ve had from the outset is that it’s never really been any good at clearing my windscreen, I’ve always been really disappointed with it and it takes so long that I’ve ended up wiping the screen also had condensation on the inside of the screen which I did call Mazda about and someone was going to call me back but no one ever did so I’ll mention that in a mail tomorrow.
User1234

Post by User1234 »

Mkmagpie wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 am Spookily I had exactly the same experience as Kimm - car booked in for air con failure and got a call from the dealer yesterday to say there was a known issue and they were awaiting parts.... having read some of the previous posts however, it looks like I’ve had a problem from the outset as there is limited control over temperature......... Baltic or Bahamas!
I’m guessing your dealership is in MK?
flobbage

Post by flobbage »

That was painless!
After aircon had failed i booked it in to Hodgsons (silverlink) this morning.
courtesy car was waiting at no cost.
got a phone call a few hours later to say car was ready.
when i got there i was told the condenser had failed and been replaced and a software update had been done.
was told both tasks were the subject of a recall and i would probably get a letter soon inviting me in, just ignore it.
Still summer on the way home... both aircon and climate control working.
Well done hodgsons.
CX3 Sport Nav AWD Automatic Diesel Soul Red
45.5 mpg mazda display
43.2 mpg Honest john app
Mkmagpie

Post by Mkmagpie »

Dealership is in Mk Kimm..... and they called yesterday to tell me that unfortunately they would have to order some parts (condenser) but knew nothing of a Tech Bulleting relating to the controller... I was also told that they couldn’t order warranty replacements without seeing the fault for themselves, I found this strange as they haven’t seen the fault I have currently! Anyway had to book in for 30th, and also called Mazda customer service who were very helpful and sceptical with regard to what I’d been told. They said that speak to the dealer and call back... not heard, so will ring tomorrow
bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

When I had my control unit replaced I took in a print out of the TSB. The guy in the dealership tried to look it up on their system but could not find it, so I think there is probably some sort of problem with their systems with regards to this particular issue. He phoned up Mazda who confirmed it was an issue and he then ordered the part (arrived next day).
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Had my control unit replaced on Monday, no problems once they had found the TSB.'Cos the conditions of failure are so specific (ie ambient temp 9-10 deg C and AC turned on and set to MAX then 1 click to the right) they have no chance of replicating the fault so they just changed it on my complaint. Most people probably wont notice the failure as it is so specific in nature, they really should do a recall of all vehicles concerned, instead of waiting on the owner to notice the known defect!
Take a copy of the TSB and stick to your guns, it should not be down to the owners to educate dealers.............
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

After reading these postings I turned the air con on yesterday..................certainly not Ice Station Zebra!!! So this morning I called the dealer and it's due a diagnostic next week, but the service manager did admit failure of the evaporator and/or condenser was "somewhat" common, but there was no recall!
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

SoonerV8 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm After reading these postings I turned the air con on yesterday..................certainly not Ice Station Zebra!!! So this morning I called the dealer and it's due a diagnostic next week, but the service manager did admit failure of the evaporator and/or condenser was "somewhat" common, but there was no recall!
I think you'll find manufacturers only have to issue recall notices if a problem item is safety related. Obviously air con problems don't fall in that category. Nevertheless, what is really surprising is that some Mazda UK dealers appear to be unfamiliar with the technical service bullletins, often applying worldwide, which are issued by Mazda Japan and have included various problem aspects relating to the air conditioning system. If your car falls in the production date / VIN range stated on the control unit problem TSB, I'd recommend you take a copy (see my link on this page viewtopic.php?f=11&t=842&start=180) to the dealer next week and insist they replace that item at the same time as the evaporator and/or condensor to save you further hassle with additional dealer visits.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

mum@mazda wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm Had my control unit replaced on Monday, no problems once they had found the TSB.'Cos the conditions of failure are so specific (ie ambient temp 9-10 deg C and AC turned on and set to MAX then 1 click to the right) they have no chance of replicating the fault so they just changed it on my complaint. Most people probably wont notice the failure as it is so specific in nature, they really should do a recall of all vehicles concerned, instead of waiting on the owner to notice the known defect!
Take a copy of the TSB and stick to your guns, it should not be down to the owners to educate dealers.............
As I've stated in reply to another forum member's posting "I think you'll find manufacturers only have to issue recall notices if a problem item is safety related. Obviously air con problems don't fall in that category".

What I find really annoying with this air conditioning control unit problem - which is logic related and thus affects ALL units fitted to cars prior to when they amended the logic - is that dealers don't hold a small stock of the replacement units. Then whenever someone books their car in for a service, warranty or any other work the dealer should check if the control unit had been replaced and if not offer to do so whilst carrying out the other work, thereby saving the owner a further visit.

As an aside, I notice the My Mazda app only shows service work undertaken and doesn't show any warranty repairs. The information must be held on the Mazda database and I would have thought it would be beneficial to the current owner of a car - and any subsequent owner - to see that information?
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016