Cruise Control speed setting 1 mph out.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Perhaps it's to do with the HUD now needing the SD card navigation data in order to pick up and display the speed limit when a suitable roadside speed limit sign isn't available or recognised by the appropriate camera?
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016

alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Strangways wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 am The difference in readings is probably due to the variation in tyre circumference which will be affected by tyre wear and tyre pressure.
Mine has been 1mph out since it was brand new and has never changed in nearly 3 years, so I don't think this is true at all. I just live with it.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
santa

Post by santa »

alanandlyn wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Strangways wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 am The difference in readings is probably due to the variation in tyre circumference which will be affected by tyre wear and tyre pressure.
Mine has been 1mph out since it was brand new and has never changed in nearly 3 years, so I don't think this is true at all. I just live with it.
Can You change from mph to kmh and see if that fixes it?
Maybe it's something in the conversion going wrong.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

santa wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:03 am
Tried that, no difference, I treat it as a feature now. :lol:
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

My CC also sets higher, so I set it lower, it also creeps higher when going down hill. The speed limit display must always favour GPS information, which as we know is often not that up to date. When another limit has been set on a stretch of road, the old limit still shows, obviously the camera information (if indeed there is any) is ignored.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.
santa

Post by santa »

Handy Andy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am

That's so weird.
Mine has always been spot on, except when going downhill or uphill, then it can go over or under by 1-3 kmh, until it hits the mark gain.
And I don't envy that feature, by the way ;) :D
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Santa, I don't know what spec the Optimum is, but I would guess it has 16" wheels. All the people who say there HUD is showing 1mph faster have 18" wheels. The difference in the overall circumference is 1" bigger on an 18" wheel. If the speedo has been based on revolutions of the 16" wheel then the car will actually be travelling faster if it is on 18" wheels. 70 mph on the 16" wheels will equate to 70.8 mph on 18" wheels.
Has that solved it or did I guess wrong on your wheel size?
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

santa wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:01 pm
Handy Andy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am

That's so weird.
Mine has always been spot on, except when going downhill or uphill, then it can go over or under by 1-3 kmh, until it hits the mark gain.
And I don't envy that feature, by the way ;) :D
That is my experience too. I can't see how it could keep the mph exactly on the cruise control setting when there is a slight downhill or uphill. When the hill is steeper mine will often go 2 or even 3 mph over or under depending on the steepness until the cruise kicks in and slowly brings the mph back in line with the cruise control setting. My wheels are the 18" ones.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
santa

Post by santa »

Strangways wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm Santa, I don't know what spec the Optimum is, but I would guess it has 16" wheels. All the people who say there HUD is showing 1mph faster have 18" wheels. The difference in the overall circumference is 1" bigger on an 18" wheel. If the speedo has been based on revolutions of the 16" wheel then the car will actually be travelling faster if it is on 18" wheels. 70 mph on the 16" wheels will equate to 70.8 mph on 18" wheels.
Has that solved it or did I guess wrong on your wheel size?
The Optimum here in Scandinavia is the top spec with 18" wheels and there is No difference with My 16" winter wheels.
My Cruise control is spot on, only going up and down hills, will the speedo go over or under the set speed and pretty quickly find the correct speed again.
That's why I thought it might be the miles conversion that does it.
And the speedo is quite precise compared to the gps: 80 kmh on GPS is 82 kmh on the speedo/HUD on 18" wheels, on My 16" wheels it's more like 83/84 on speedo is 80 kmh on GPS.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Okay so I guessed wrong :( but it does make sense for those who are getting a higher reading on the HUD.
For those of you with 18" wheels and matching readings I suggest you check your tyre pressures :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED